Spies in the Edited Guide: Answers

0 Conversations

Enter the Cone of Silence for…

Spies in the Edited Guide: Answers

Patrick McGoohan as the Prisoner, with the Village's dreaded white security balloon - Rover - lurking in the background.

Spies, spies, and more spies. The Guide has a lot of info.

Don't see your favourite spy story in here? Maybe it's because you haven't written the definitive tell-all Guide Entry yet. Collect your intel and get ready to blab it all in your next PR submission.

In the meantime, here are the answers:

  1. The man in the picture is Number Six, although he says he's 'not a number', but a free man. That's what The Prisoner is all about.
  2. So many spies were exchanged through Checkpoint Charlie, it's a wonder they didn't install EZ-Pass. The Friedrichstrasse Bahnhof crossing, by comparison, was slow, tedious, and full of humourless Communist officials.
  3. Remember Guy Burgess? He was one of The Cambridge Spies. Oxford's just into rowing. Hogwarts probably has spies, too, but good luck trying to find the place without an owl and a magic wand. Nobody's ever stayed awake long enough in an economics lecture to get brainwashed, so London's safe.
  4. 'K' is the rather unnecessarily pretentious designation of the head of MI5 – The British Security Service. The head of MI6 uses 'C'. Come on, even the Queen writes a longer signature than that.
  5. Real spies actually used Minox Spy Cameras. We want one.
  6. No, no teapots, but be sure to read about TEMPEST and Electronic Security.
  7. Dorothy O'Grady was arrested for spying during World War II. Read all the details in Dorothy O'Grady: Dotty Dog Walker or Secretly Sandown's Sinister Seaside Super Spy?
  8. According to versions of The Christopher Marlowe Conspiracies, Kit Marlowe was a spy. Who knows? You can't tell the good ones. Webster? Oh, he was just the Stephen King of his day.
  9. The Diplomatic Security Service of the USA watches embassies and such abroad. Yeah, right. They probably scout Hollywood locations while they're at it.
  10. What? you don't regard 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu as pleasant bedside reading? You might be a subversive.

Don't keep these amazing titbits to yourself. Send them in code to all your friends. Careful – the walls have ears!

Meet me here, Smiley.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

08.07.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87801429

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more