The Post Quiz: Things That Happened In July - Answers

0 Conversations

We know it's hot, but you have to do some thinking.

Things That Happened in July: Answers

Two pensioners asleep on deckchairs on Bournemouth beach.

Amazing how much energy some people have. They even made history in July. Us, we're lucky to get up off the deck chair at the pool.

Check your prodigious knowledge of historical events against our experts in the Edited Guide. Links are provided for further reading.

  1. Skylab broke up over the Indian Ocean on 11 July 1979. Australia fined NASA for littering (really!).
  2. If you live in Northern Ireland, you want a holiday on The Twelfth Week of July so that you can celebrate – or escape from – all the furor about the Battle of the Boyne, an event which took place a mere three centuries or so ago on 12 July 1690.
  3. The first-ever visit by humans from Earth to the moon took place on 20 July 1969. Read about Apollo 11.
  4. Beach Haven, New Jersey, was the site of the beginning of Shark Summer, a series of shark attacks that inspired the novel Jaws.
  5. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, who were mad at each other, both died on 4 July, 1826. Get a load of The Last Words of the American Founding Fathers.
  6. The Barebones Parliament first met on 4 July 1653. It's all part of the Oliver Cromwell saga. Get it here, warts and all.
  7. The Spanish Civil War began in 1936 and ended in 1939, just in time for World War II. We call this unfortunate scheduling.
  8. The strategic anchorage of St Helens was, of course, on the Isle of Wight, which must be defended at all costs from hostile French people. Unless they're tourists.
  9. The Pisces Australids are easiest to observe south of the equator, starting in July and going into August.
  10. Jane Fonda earned the nickname 'Hanoi Jane' for broadcasting on 14 July 1972. She told US servicemen that she believed the conflict in Vietnam constituted a war crime under international law. You can read more about it in War and Protest - the US in Vietnam (1972-1975)

Whew! All that sounds like too much work in all this summer heat. Of course, if you go watch those Pisces Australids from far enough south, it'll be winter.

Brag on your knowledge to your friends. Annoy them at the next barbecue. Didn't see your favourite July event? Maybe it's because you haven't written about it yet.

Keep cool!

A jug of iced tea.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

22.07.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87804138

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more