The Post Quiz: What Just Happened - Answers

0 Conversations

So what's new with you?

What Happened? Answers

Did you get your historical imagination mojo working? Here are the answers.

What just happened?

  1. What happened? Sherman burnt Atlanta. Now they're tearing up the railway tracks, so the Rebs can't use 'em.
  2. What happened? Wilbur crashed the plane again. Not to worry, the Wright Brothers got it in the air eventually.
  3. What happened? The volcano has erupted. In san Salvador, 1917. (Run away!)
  4. What happened? The ship struck a mine, and yes, there was a war on. The fate of HMS Irresistible was sad in 1915. (Dardanelles campaign.)
  5. What happened? This gentleman has just been faxed – for the first time ever, n 1922. It was called 'radio facsimile', a technology whose time had apparently not come. We're just grateful it was his face he faxed.
  6. What happened? The LZ-1 has just taken off in 1900.That's a Zeppelin, folks. No, not a Led Zeppelin. It's a dirigible. They were very popular in passenger traffic in Germany in the early 1900s.
  7. What happened? This soldier has just jumped out of a plane in 1942. We bet he was glad he packed the parachute.
  8. What happened? The World's Fair just opened. In 1893. I'm headed for the Ferris Wheel, want a hot dog later?
  9. What happened? This gentleman has met with foul play. The redoubtable Jesse James was laid low by Robert Ford, who plugged him full of lead, as they used to say. Law and order types rejoiced, though the romantic folk were sorry to see a legend go.
  10. What happened? These guys just found the North Pole! Seriously. In 1909. They decided to wave flags for the photo op.

Ain't historical imagination fun? Try these out on your less well-informed friends. Claim you took the se photos from your personal tardis.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

06.01.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87820121

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more