The Post Quiz: Modal Differences

1 Conversation

Here's a different kind of quiz.

Modal Nationality Quiz

A foxy cowgirl saying 'Y'all come back now!'

Britain and the US: two countries separated by a common language. We easily spot the variations in our vocabulary: lift vs elevator, lorry vs truck, biscuit vs cookie. The list goes on. But it's the subtler differences that give us pause. Sometimes, we even get annoyed at each other because of our casual use of phrasing . What seems perfectly friendly to one group may come across as a near-deadly insult to another.

Such are the modal verbs. Modal verbs, in case you didn't grow up with grammarians, are 'helping' verbs like can, ought, must, etc. Sometimes, however, these verbs are more of a hindrance than a help. Check it out. Tell us how you use these verbs, and we'll tell you where you're from.

Of course, we realise that English comes in way more flavours than Brit/Not-Brit. There are Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans… There are also US Southerners, Caribbean Islanders, Valley Girls, Newfies, Belfast Researchers, and so on, round the world. If you've got a different take on the 'correct' use of these modal verbs – or you'd like to tell us what they mean to you – we'd love to hear it. That's what the bottom of the page is for, so you can share.

In the meantime, pick your meaning.

  1. 'You need to fill out this form.'

    Do you find this sentence…

    a. Neutral?

    b. Offensive?

    c. Unecessarily bossy?
  2. 'I couldn't say.'

    Do you find this sentence…

    a. Quite correct?

    b. Snobbish?

    c. Suspiciously evasive?
  3. 'We might could do that.'

    Do you find this sentence…

    a. Incomprehensible?

    b. Ignorant?

    c. Quite reasonable?
  4. 'Can I have another piece of cake?'

    How do you respond?

    a. You can, but you may not.

    b. Sure, go ahead.

    c. If you say please first.
  5. 'You may go now.'

    How do you respond?

    a. Thank you..

    b. Just who do you think you are?

    c. Didn't your mother teach you better manners?
  6. 'I shall be there.'

    How do you respond?

    a. I'm looking forward to seeing you..

    b. Is it inevitable?

    c. You nod, but think, 'Is this person older than he/she looks?'
  7. 'I had to do that.'

    Do you find this statement…

    a. Factual?

    b. Cause for a psychological evaluation?

    c. Merely an expression of intense desire?

What do you think? Do modals tell you anything about your language choices? Click on the ogham bar to get our take on the results.

Ogham Alphabet
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

20.01.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87821058

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more