The Post Quiz: English Monarchs

0 Conversations

How well do you know your English monarchs?

Crowned Heads Quiz

The famous features of King Henry VIII.
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical…
WS Gilbert

Are you a Modern Major General? Can you name those English kings and queens? They were a colourful lot.

Try your hand at this quiz. Name the monarch.

  1. This queen trashed Roman Colchester, but don't call her a Vandal. She was an Iceni.
  2. He told those Vikings to stay on their side of the line, up in Yorkshire.
  3. He fell in mortal combat with that Norman So-and-So, William. It all happened at Hastings.
  4. Not England's only gay king, but the one who suffered most for his sexual orientation. Marlowe wrote a play about him.
  5. Was he a villain or a good guy? Controversy rages about this king whose grave was discovered under a car park.
  6. The Car Park King's successor. We suspect he was into historical revisionism.
  7. Defender of the Faith? Well, depends on who you talk to. This king rewrote religion, and was into serial monogamy, big-time. He had six wives, and beheaded two of them.
  8. She was only queen for about a week and a half, poor thing. Then she lost her head.
  9. This king was into agriculture. In fact, his people called 'Farmer…'. But that would be telling.
  10. In the 1930s, this king quit. He went off to live on the Continent. A shocking choice, but he preferred Mrs Simpson's company to that of Winston Churchill. Could you blame him?

Easy, right? Well, sure, if you were paying attention in history class. Or if you watch a lot of BBC costume dramas. Check your answers by clicking on the picture below.

A bronze-ade man uses his axe to cut a slice of bread
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

03.02.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87821968

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more