Supermarket XIV: From the FleaMarket with love.

0 Conversations

The Classic Goo monster in an h2g2 T shirtHello, and welcome to the fourteenth edition of Super Market, the monthly update of everything exciting taking place in h2g2's own Flea Market.

New Scavenger

Official Scavenger Badge

Teasswill, who has four Flea Market Rescues to her name, has become the first person this year to earn her Scavenger badge:

  1. Art School in the UK (2008)

    Original: Going to Art School by NeonoaBright
  2. Retinopathy of Prematurity (2009)

    Original: Retinopathy of Prematurity by tropicalrop
  3. Disability (2010)

    Original: Disability by GrumpyAlembic
  4. A to Z of Black (2012)

    Original: A - Z of Black - More Than Just a Colour by Emmily
  5. Black Eyes and How to cure them (2014)

    Original: Black Eyes and How to "cure" them by Just Justin

I asked Teasswill if she'd like to say a few words,

Teasswill: I'm quite chuffed to have the badge - good to see that the powers that be keep track and awarded the badge without me having to apply.
I shall probably continue to browse the Flea Market for entries to work on!

Interview with a Scavenger

To learn more about the Flea Market, it's a good idea to talk to some of the folk behind it. In this issue we interview Icy North, who has rescued 3 articles:

Bluebottle: Would you like to tell me anything about any the articles that you have been involved in rescueing?

Icy North: I'm not a serial scavenger, BB. I've only rescued 3 in 10 years. Just don't paint me in the same light as those who have rescued countless flea market entries, like yourself.

I rescued the Big 5 accountancy firms as it was an excellent entry which dropped out of Peer Review when the author elvised. I picked it up straight away, as I knew a little about the subject. I didn't need to rewrite it, but it just needed a few contextual bits and pieces, so I was able to put a wrapper around it. I can't say it's the best entry I ever (co-)wrote, but it's an important subject, and an event which may be important historically in the future. It needed to be written.

I can't remember the context in which I came to work on Tank Tops and Garda, but I think it was when Matt started the Scavengers group. There was a push for people to trawl the Flea Market, and I found those two which I felt qualified to complete. Well, I say that - I've never worn a tank top in my life.

The original Tank Tops entry was a little short, but well written. Again, it just needed some context to make it more rounded. It wasn't difficult to find some style history online, and I did get some very good feedback in Peer Review. It was an enjoyable rescue.

Garda had already been picked up in Flea Market four years before, but the rescuer had elvised before making a start on it. It needed very little work. In fact, I should probably remove my name and give Vestboy a solo entry for it. I don't feel I added much in the way of creativity to this one, but it's nice to know it's in the guide.

Bluebottle: Would you only rescue articles about subjects you know well?

Icy North: There are hundreds of Flea Market entries, on a diverse range of subjects and in varying states of completion. It's difficult to advise, but I would tend to investigate those whose subjects grab me - ones which I would feel confident researching. If I had more time, though, I'd look outside my comfort zone - sometimes Peer Review can do the job of adding missing facts, if it's a popular subject.

Bluebottle: How much revision do you think proper in a FM Rescue?

Icy North: As to how much revision is required, well, it's as much as is necessary to make it interesting and fun to read.

Bluebottle: How do you think you would feel about being on the other side, about someone else making changes to an entry you had written, if someone tried to rescue an entry you had abandoned?

Icy North: It's unlikely I'd let my entries go into the Flea Market, but if they did, I'd hope they were picked by someone who found the subject as interesting as I did, and understood the angle I was coming from when I set out to write it.

Bluebottle: You only need to successfully rescue two more articles and then you would earn a Scavenger badge! So would you consider doing another Flea Market Rescue in the near future?

Icy North: I'd like to write more entries generally - I'm just so busy at the moment. I have a couple of good original subjects which have stalled requiring a bit of research, and I'd probably finish those ones first. It might be a good idea, though, to have a trawl through the Flea Market to see if there's anything which could inspire me to get writing and researching again.

I did reserve one on Hawkwind a while ago, but I didn't get very far with it - there's an enormous amount of history with that band, and it just wouldn't be interesting to write about all the line-up changes over the years. I should probably unreserve it and find something more suitable.

Hope this helps!

Edited Flea Market Rescues

This month we are proud to announce that Flea Market Rescues have been Edited, bringing the total of Flea Market Rescues to 258!

Recommended Flea Market Rescue

Flea Market Rescues Currently in Peer Review

These articles are in the process of being rescued from the Flea Market and currently in Peer Review. Why not help by reviewing the new version of the article?

Article Being RescuedConversationRescuerOriginal
'Basil the Great Mouse Detective' - the FilmPeer ReviewBluebottleBasil The Great Mouse Detective by Mike A
Peer ReviewModel Railways (under construction - about 85% complete) by Skinnylinny
STV - the Single Transferable VotePeer ReviewNosebagbadgerSingle Transferable Vote (STV) by Kia Shuma

Please reads through and comment about these articles - help us make them the best they can be.

And Remember...

, the Flea Market needs You!

A reader of the h2g2 Post

The Flea Market Archive

Bluebottle

03.02.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87822075

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more