The Post Quiz: First Contacts

0 Conversations

Take us to your leader. Failing that, do you know a good restaurant that serves gaach?

First Contacts Quiz

>

The problem with early European explorers in the New World was that they didn't read enough science fiction. Any Trekker would have known better than to pull some of the howlers they did. North American people were always laughing at them, and no wonder. Some of these doughty heroes made enough gaffes to make Arnold Rimmer look like Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Test your knowledge/guesswork about early European explorers in North America. Their feet were planted firmly – in their mouths.

  1. The Winnebago found the French a bit odd. What did the first French visitor do when he saw a Winnebago smoking a pipe?
  2. The Micmac were even less impressed by French architectural ideas. What was their main criticism?
  3. The Iroquois found the French hilarious, especially when the gullible gits paid so much for old beaver pelts. What were the Iroquois doing with the pelts, before they sold them to the French?
  4. The Spanish weren't the sharpest pencils in the box, either. What was Hernando de Soto looking for in Mississippi?
  5. De Soto wasn't the only one. What was Juan Pardo supposed to be doing when he crossed North Carolina and the Appalachians in 1566?
  6. The Dutch had weird priorities. Everybody knows that they paid the Lenape $24 worth of trade goods for the right to settle Manhattan. But then they turned around and gave up New Netherland to the English. In return for what?
  7. The English were big liars. At least, John Smith was. He told everyone that Pocahontas was madly in love with him. What was wrong with that story?
  8. Thomas Morton, a 17th-century New Englander, kind of liked the Massachusetts Indians. He thought their houses were interesting. Which European group did he compare them to?
  9. Early English settlers suffered from woeful ignorance of the local flora. What happened to some 17th-century English soldiers who ate the wrong salad at Jamestown?
  10. Back in the day, a Scots lad fell in love with a Cherokee girl. She kind of liked his curly red hair, we understand. So they got married, but the Cherokee gave him a new name. What was it?

How well did you know, or guess, this early contact lore? Click on the explorer to find out.

Davy Crockett. Picture courtesy of Library of Congress
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

10.02.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87822480

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more