The Post Quiz: Marching Songs

0 Conversations

It's got a beat to it.

The Post Quiz: Marching Songs

The Humboldt State University Marching Lumberjacks.

Do you like marching bands? Or do you prefer that they stand in the gazebo, making an easier target for the flying fruit?

In the 19th and early 20 centuries, bands were all the rage. Now, they're associated with parades. In the UK, some people enjoy tattoos. In the US, bands liven up halftime shows at matches with those funny egg-shaped balls. From the tuba to the piccolo, they all seem to be having a good time. Especially that fellow with the big bass drum.

Can you answer these questions about famous marching band songs?

  1. In 'Alexander's Ragtime Band', Irving Berlin claims their bugle call is 'so natural that you wanna…' What?
  2. When it comes to the 'New Ashmolean Marching Society and Students' Conservatory Band', the 'analytical, sensitive or critical' will like them more… What?
  3. What US Army marching song starts, according to schoolboys, with, 'Oh, the monkey wrapped his tail around the flagpole…'?
  4. John Philip Sousa was a great march composer. Which one is John Cleese's favourite?
  5. According to Harold Hill, the Music Man, when the 76 trombones played, he played…what instrument?
  6. Who composed the song that goes, again according to schoolboy scholars, 'Pray for the dead, and the dead will pray for you?'
  7. What British march was made popular worldwide by the film Bridge Over the River Kwai?
  8. Recite the chorus to 'Mademoiselle from Armentieres’. You know you want to.
  9. What famous marching song had to be excised from the recording of the World War II North Africa victory revue, even though Winston Churchill loved it?
  10. What Johann Strauss march is popular with the US Marine Corps?

Think you got them all? March over to the answer page, by clicking on the pic below.

A fist holding a red scarf punches the air in time with the whole stadium to 'Hang on Sloopy'.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

10.03.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87824659

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more