The Post Quiz: Weather-wise - Answers

0 Conversations

What kind of weather-frog are you?

Weather-Wise: Answers

Diagram showing chaos theory

From ancient times, people have watched the weather. In fact, the first quote on our weather quiz goes back to the Bible. Yep, that old..

Why it all those old weather prophets talked like Yoda? We don't know, but we hope you caught all this weather wisdom. You can stop watching that guy with the green-screen map.

Here are the sayings:

  1. Red sky at morning, sailor take warning.
  2. Mare's tails and mackerel scales make tall ships take in their sails. (Because it's going to get windier.).
  3. Clear moon, frost soon. (Earth gets colder.)
  4. A year of snow, a year of plenty. (It's good for the fruit trees and other crops.)
  5. Halo around the sun or moon, rain or snow soon. (Cirrus clouds, you know.)
  6. Rainbow in the morning gives you fair warning. (That it's going to rain.)
  7. When the stars begin to huddle, the earth will soon become a puddle. (More rain.)
  8. Bees will not swarm before a storm. (Yep, definitely rain.)
  9. When the ditch and pond offend the nose, then look out for rain and stormy blows. (Your guess is as good as ours. The rain wants to clean out the smelly pond?)
  10. When the wind blows from the west, fish bite best. When it blows from the east, fish bite least (So stick up a finger – no, not that one – before you take the boat out.)

We hope you are now better informed. NASA may have the satellites, but we've got ancient farmers to tell us about the weather. They're probably as accurate as the meteorologists, anyway..

A satellite picture of a hurricane.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

28.04.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87827962

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more