Oddity of the Week: Saying It with Flowers

0 Conversations

Some armies do useful things – like send flowers.

Flowers for Mrs Coolidge

Flower for Mrs Cooleidge

This is a tale of an army airlift.

What?

Well, that's what the Library of Congress says. Here's their description of this picture:

Salvation Army children of California send Mrs. Coolidge a gift of flowers by airplane. A beautiful basket of flowers sent by airplane by the children of the Salvation Army Home at Lytton Springs, California, was presented to Mrs. Coolidge at the White House today. Ketha Holtz, daughter of Staff-Captain Ernest R. Holtz, Potomac Divisional Commander of the Salvation Army in Washington and Robert Rose, son of Ensign Robert Rose of Salvation Army, are shown making the presentation which also included a message reading: "Dear Mrs Coolidge: We are sending you these flowers because we love you"

Isn't that a sweet picture? Look at Mrs Coolidge's face. She's obviously enjoying those kids. And wasn't that nice of the kids at the Salvation Army home? They had something nice, and they wanted to share with the First Lady. Because they loved her.

When you think about what those children didn't have in 1927, and that they lived in a home run by charity, well…you get our point.

Sometimes, flowers say a lot. What do yours say to you?

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

19.05.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87829285

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more