The Phyto-Philes - Eastern Bowstring Hemp

1 Conversation

Eastern Bowstring Hemp

Eastern Bowstring Hemp by Willem.


This species, Sansevieria hyacinthoides, is called the Eastern Bowstring Hemp. No, not that kind of hemp! This is actually a closer relative to Asparagus, it seems. It is also called Mother-In-Law's Tongue. Both of the common names refer to its leaves. They are very large, flat, tough and fibrous. The scientific name 'Sansevieria' honours the eighteenth century count Pietro Antonio Sanseverino, while the species name 'hyacinthoides' means 'like a hyacinth' because of the long, broad leaves. There are about seventy known species of Sansevieria, with five or six species native to South Africa.

Valuable Fibres


This and other related species have been a traditional source of fibre in South Africa, especially to the San people or Bushmen. Some species of Sansevieria grow in the Kalahari Desert, actually a dry savannah on deep sand, which is also the last refuge of traditionally-living San people today. There is a very special method they use to extract the fibres from the leaves. Leaves are harvested in the growing season, that is to say spring and summer, since the fibres are stronger then than in the dry, resting season. A cut leaf is placed on the harvester's upper thigh. A hard surface doesn't work, since then the fibres tend to break. Then, using a digging stick (the San's ubiquitous tool for getting things out of the deep Kalahari sand) or another piece of wood, the leaf is scraped lengthwise. The green living tissues of the leaf are carefully scraped away, leaving only the tough white fibres.


The method for rolling the extracted fibres into string and rope is also very precise. The fibres are separated into three equal bundles. They are rolled, also on the thigh, with the palm of the hand. On the forward stroke of the hand, the fibres in each individual bundle are twisted together, and on the backward stroke, all three bundles are rolled around each other, so forming a string or rope of twisted strands bundled into a greater twisted strand, giving the rope or string great strength. This is ideal for a string for the small bows the San use to shoot poison arrows at their prey with, but the fibres have many other uses also. Other African peoples apart from the San also use Sansevierias of various species, since these range widely in the warm, dry regions of the continent.

Plants against Piles


Another name for this species is 'Aambeiwortel' or 'Pile Root'. That is because the species is used as treatment against haemorrhoids! The rhizomes can be boiled, or eaten raw, for helping with haemorrhoids as well as stomach ulcers and internal parasites. They contain substances called ruscogenin and saponins that work as anti-inflammatories and venotonics. Juice is also squeezed from the leaves and used to treat ear infections and toothache.

Decorative Ornamentals


Today most Sansevierias are used as ornamentals. The tough leaves make them quite resistant to damage, and they need little water. This is one of the most impressive species. The broad, flat leaves can reach a metre/yard in length. They are handsomely mottled and there is a white to pinkish margin to the leaves. The leaves appear to rise up straight from the ground, but below its surface they are connected by a branching subterranean rhizome. In the garden, large clumps of leaves form as the rhizome branches and sends up new leaves.


The flowers of this and other Sansevierias are also pretty. In contrast to the tough leaves, the greenish-white flowers are soft and delicate. They are borne on a stout, upright flower stalk. The flowers are pollinated by butterflies and moths, and are followed by orange berries, which are also decorative.

The Hemp Invasions


Unfortunately today this and other Sansevierias have turned into invaders in a few regions of the world! The species having been widely planted in gardens by humans, have in several places 'escaped' and now grow in the wild. Because they are so tough and multiply from their underground rhizomes, they spread and crowd indigenous plants out. They're also hard to eradicate because if you leave just a small bit of the rhizome in the soil it will soon sprout new leaves and keep growing.


For this reason I don't recommend that this Sansevieria be grown in regions where it can become a problem, such as the southern USA or southern Europe and the warmer parts of Asia. It is best used as a houseplant in regions that are cold and/or wet! It flourishes indoors in a container.

Air Cleaners?


This and other Sansevierias are said to be able to clean the air! They have a kind of metabolic process common in succulent plants called the 'crassulacean acid metabolism' where they absorb carbon dioxide during the day and release oxygen at night. They are said to also be able to absorb various toxins during the day. Well I'm not sure how much poison it can take, but like any plants, it is good for the air! These plants are also used for Feng Shui purposes … again I will not comment on that.

Growing the Bowstring Hemp


The easiest way to grow this plant is from cuttings. Leaf cuttings work … entire leaves or sections of leaves can be cut off the plant, left to dry for a week or so, and then planted, just an inch or two into the soil. The best time for this is early spring. Water sparingly. It can take more than a year for a rooted leaf cutting to show new growth, so be patient. Clumps can also be divided, at the rhizome level. Again let the sections dry for a week or so to form callus tissue over the wounds before you plant them out. The species can also be grown from seeds. It is important to use well-draining soil and not to overwater the plants, whether they're young or old. They grow slowly but, in warm climates, throughout the year.


In a house, the plant should be given a fairly large pot, placed in a position where it gets some sun. Sunlight filtered through a light curtain will also be fine. The plants will form leaf clumps eventually filling the pot, at which stage it is a good idea to remove some of the leaves and subterranean rhizomes around the edges because if left to grow unchecked the continuously growing clumps might get too large for the pot and break it!


In suitable regions in Africa, bowstring hemp can be grown in garden beds. Outdoors they prefer light shade, and are a good choice for filling a bed below trees or large shrubs. They are great choices for rock gardens along with other succulents and drought resistant plants. I should note that there are poisonous substances in the leaves, so they are not ideal if children or dogs are around that might try eating them! But I must say, this species would probably not be a problem since the leaves are so tough that it would need long, dedicated chewing to ingest any meaningful amount of them.

Colours of Wildlife Archive

Willem

16.06.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87831435

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more