The Post Quiz: The Great War - Answers

0 Conversations

C'est la guerre.

The Great War: Answers

A poppy wreath.

How many of these facts did you have at your fingertips? If you found it a reach, reflect on that. Think about it: once upon a time, these things were common knowledge. In fact, most of this information was vitally important. Today, they're just trivia questions. Does that tell us something about war, and what it's good for? End of lesson. Here are the answers.

Multiple choice.

  1. What kind of event set off the Great War?
    • An assassination. (Archduke Franz Ferdinand, by a Serb dissident.)
  2. Which countries made up the Triple Entente alliance?
    • Russia, France, and the UK. (The intent of the Entente was to defeat the German, Austro-Hungarian, and Ottoman Empires, or Central Powers.)
  3. What was 'Little Willie'?
    • The first tank. (Ha! Fooled you. But 'Big Bertha', the huge cannon, was named after Herr Krupp's wife.)
  4. How many planes did Baron von Richthofen shoot down?
    • 80, (Sing after us: '10, 20, 30, 40, 50 or more, the Bloody Red Baron was rollin' up the scoreā€¦')
  5. What was Margaretha Zelle executed for?
    • Being a double agent. (Mata Hari was her other name.)
  6. Who flew in the Lafayette Escadrille?
    • Americans. (Early entrants to the war from then-neutral US.)
  7. Who was the Zimmermann Telegram addressed to?
    • The German ambassador in Mexico. (But British cryptographers read it anyway, naughty.)
  8. Which of these features could often be found in a German trench?
    • All of the above. (We're sorry, but we have to say it: only a German would put a doorbell in a trench. Engineers.)
  9. What were 'Hello Girls'?
    • Bilingual US-born telephone operators. (Hello, Central, give me heaven.)
  10. What did patriotic Americans call hamburger during the Great War?
    • Salisbury steak. (We always wondered where that came from.)

How did you do? Share your knowledge in honour of the fallen on this day. And vow that someday, wars won't be the major cause of holidays, on this planet or any other.

Kaiser Wilhelm

(Click the picture to find out what the Kaiser is complaining about.)

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

10.11.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87842677

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more