The Post Quiz: A Christmas Carol (or Two) - Answers

0 Conversations

Time to celebrate Christmas, you know-alls.

A Christmas Carol, or Two: Answers

Boys singing Latin phrases

'Nora's freezing on the trolley, swaller-dollar-cauliflower, alleygaroo!' Well, that's what Walt Kelly said we were singing. Let's prove him wrong.

Answer these simple questions about popular carols.

  1. Describe the sleigh in which you are 'dashing through the snow'. It's a one-horse open sleigh, so there. The horse is in a hurry, he wants his dinner.
  2. What kind of bed doesn't the Baby Jesus have in 'Away in a Manger'? A crib. The Mothercare shop was closed for the holiday.
  3. How many lords are leaping in that irritating carol? Ten. Didn't anybody miss them in Westminster? (Probably not.)
  4. At what time of day are the three ships sailing in on Christmas Day? In the morning. Early rising ships.
  5. Why should the gentlemen be merry and not dismayed? Because Jesus was born on Christmas Day. That's their excuse and they're sticking to it.
  6. Who got Mary the cherries in 'The Cherry Tree Carol'? Jesus. He asked the tree to bow down, which is a cool trick when you haven't been born yet.
  7. How many las are there in a line of 'Deck the Halls"? Eight. (We counted on our fingers.)
  8. Which bears the crown of all the trees that are in the wood? The holly. Old rivalry, apparently.
  9. The 'trees of nature fruitless be' compared to what tree? The apple tree. If that carol doesn't give you goosebumps, you're immune to the season.
  10. What other US cities feature prominently in Kelly's 'Deck Us All with Boston Charlie'? Walla Walla, Wash(ington), and Kalamazoo. It's just so much fun to sing 'Kalamazoo'.

We hope this quiz will have set you to singing. And we wish you and yours a lovely holiday, however, whenever, and wherever you celebrate it!

Puck's Christmas cover, 1896.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

22.12.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87845250

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more