The Post Quiz: Censorious Reasoning

0 Conversations

Banning books is an old human custom. But the reasons can be interesting.

The Post Quiz: Censorious Reasoning

A cartoon of Anthony Comstock

Over the years, many books have been banned. In different times and places, people have found them offensive. But do you know why?

Try to figure out why these books were banned.

Short answers, please.

  1. Why did the censor in Hunan, China, ban Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in 1931?
  2. The Anarchist's Cookbook is only banned in Australia, though if you order one online, you'll probably get on somebody's watch list. The author, now a respectable Anglican, wants the book to go out of print. Why can't he effectively ban his own book?
  3. Did the Irish Republic ban Brendan Behan's Borstal Boy because it criticised British prisons?
  4. Why were The Canterbury Tales banned in the US after 1873?
  5. The Dictionary of Modern Serbo-Croatian Language was banned in Yugoslavia in 1966. What was offensive about this dictionary?
  6. We all know Ulysses was banned in a lot of places. What excuse did the US judges give for lifting the ban?
  7. Why did parts of California ban The Grapes of Wrath?
  8. We know why the meat-packing industry objected to Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. But why was this 1906 work banned in East Germany in 1956?
  9. Why did the Greek government ban Lysistrata by Aristophanes – in 1967?
  10. Who claims the copyright to Mein Kampf, and tries to prevent it from being printed?

Think you had the right insight into the censor's mind? Click the pic below for answers.

Fyodor Dostoevsky
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

26.01.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87847005

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more