Basic Battle Facts -- The English Civil War - The Battle of Naseby

2 Conversations

The English Civil War -- The Battle of Naseby (Wednesday June 14, 1645)


.


Although the English Civil Wars could trace their beginnings to the reign of James I. Hostilities had begun when King Charles I had effectively declared war by raising his standard at Nottingham on August 22, 1642, the first battle was on September 23, of that year at Powick Bridge, and continued until 16 March 1647.

There were to be a further uprisings in 1648 Kent and Essex and Wales, this this was to became known as the Second Civil War. Finally a Third Civil War in 1650 - 1651 when a Scottish army entered England in the name of Stewart cause. Hostilities finally ended with the death of Cromwell*, it was only then Parliament decided to invite Charles II to return from exile in France. Charles became King of England on 25 May, 1660 after 18 years of hostility.

--- 0O0 ---


Naseby was one of the last 12 battles of the First English Civil War, it gave Cromwell's New Model Army one of its first victories. And it marked the beginning of the end for the royal cause. There would be another 9 months of war and another 11 battles yet to fight the last of which was the Battle of Stow-on-the-Wold on March 21, 1646. The civil war did however transform both the army and navy of Britain into a professional force. This ultimately gave Britain the ability to forge an Empire that spanned the world. The conflict also awakened the political desires of the people of England giving birth to political groups such as the Levellers and Diggers. These groups in their turn had greater influence. The writings they left behind were to inspire Karl Marx* and the birth of Communism.

--- 0O0 ---


Location
  • Naseby - County - Northamptonshire, England.
  • Nearest settlements the villages of Naseby, Clipston and Sibbertoft.
  • Grid Reference: SP684799 (468490,279990)

    LeadersParliamentRoyalist
    • King Charles II
    • Prince Rupert of the Rhine
    Deployment PARLIAMENT FORCESROYALIST FORCES
    • Estimates range from 13,500 to 15,000.
    • Horse - 6,000 Regular cavalry.
    • Foot - 7,000 Pike and Musket.
    • Ordinance* - 7
    • Other forces - 550 Okey's Company of Dragoons.
    • Estimates range from 9,000 to 12,000.
    • Horse - 4,500 Regular cavalry.
    • Foot - 4,000 Pike and Musket.
    • Ordinance - 6
    • Other forces - None recorded.
    Battlefield Character
    • Weather conditions. Good, dry.
    • Visibility. Poor at first due to light fog.
    • Ground conditions. Firm good for cavalry.
    • Natural obstacles. The field of view was restricted by Naseby ridge, "Durst hill" and "Sulby Hedges".
    Tactical Advantage
    • The advantage was on the Parliament side. They had a numerical advantage in troops and these troops were all men of Cromwell's New Model army. Soldiers well paid and trained with professional officers. The daily rate of pay was 8 pence for infantry and 2 shillings* for cavalry. This was partly because King Charles has been forced to send over 3,000 troops under the command of Lord Goring to relieve the siege of Taunton. In spite of a summons from the king to join the battle, Lord Goring refused to return.

    .


    The Battle

    .


    • The battle of Naseby began around 9am and was to last until just after noon.
    • Battle Positions

    • The Royalist lines were approximately 1.5 miles wide, on the right and drawn up against the Sulby Hedges were Prince Rupert's cavalry with an estimated strength of 2,000 to 3,000. In the center were three divisions of foot. And on the left was Sir Marmaduke Langdale and 1,500 "Northern Horse", with the Clipston to Naseby road to their left. Prince Rupert and his cavalry division took position the right.
    • The Parliamentary lines were almost 2 miles wide. Their forces were drawn up on Naseby ridge. Sergeant-Major General Sir Philip Skippon took the center and left of parliaments line. His command consisted of 8 foot regiments, 5 of which were placed in the front line and 3 held in reserve, along with 2 companies of Harleys regiment of foot commanded by Lieutenant Colonel, Pride. The cavalry under the command of Ireton formed up facing Prince Ruperts horse. Cromwell's horse took position face the Royalist horse under the command of Langdale.
    • The Battle Begins

    • Initially the battle went well for the royalist army, at one point they managed to push the parliamentary forces back. This was short lived as the parliamentary dragoons using Sulby hedges for cover opened fire on Rupert's cavalry and caused some havoc on the royalist right.
    • After a brief exchange of musket fire the foot forces in the front lines clashed and soon dissolved into hand to hand fighting with swords and club musket*. The impact of Royalist charge caused the Parliament foot to slowly fall back>. Ireton's horse charged to meet the Rupert's advance, the royalist charge was turned, Ireton then split his force leading part of his cavalry to the aid of the hard pressed parliamentary foot. This was unsuccessful and Ireton was wounded* and taken prisoner. The remainder of his troop were driven from the field by Ruperts horse*.
    • Cromwells Attack

    • Cromwell waited as Langdale's regiment of horse held position in front of woodland. Cromwell thus decided to wait, finally Langdale advanced uphill to engage Cromwell. Cromwell ordered half his command to attack Langdale, sweeping the royalist horse from the field. Cromwell dispatched a force in pursuit of Langdale and turned his attention on the royalist southern flank. At the same time Oakey's dragoons and the survivors of Ireton's cavalry attacked the royalist western flank.
    • The Royalist Collapse

    • The Royalist foot had been held by the larger force of General Sir Philip Skippon. And it was soon under attack on three sides. Some were commanded to lay down their arms. The rest attempted to fall back to Dust Hill. Prince Rupert's regiment, the Bluecoats bravely covered the retreat. Ruperts Bluecoats were overwhelmed on the third assault by Skippons forces. Prince Rupert finally managed to rally his cavalry however it was too late as the royalist army was by then, in full retreat.
    • Result

    • Casualties Parliament losses 460. ---
      Royalist losses 1,000.
    • Of the remaining Royalist forces 4,500 surrendered and 3,000 fled the field. Most of those who escaped had horses, that meant most of the senior officers and the cavalry brigades. All field ordinance was lost to the parliamentary forces.
    • A potential atrocity was recorded here. Around 500 royalist camp followers mostly women were trapped in a nearby churchyard. They were put to the sword by the pursuing parliamentary cavalry. The reason given for this was, the troops had assumed they were Irish. The cavalry involved received no punishment for this "error".
    • The Royalists lost their last main field army, there were other forces available to the royal cause, however they were committed to garrison duties in Royalist held towns. This defeat was to prove the mortal blow to the royalist cause. As the remaining royalist forces were now static defending towns and other strongholds, the parliamentary forces took the towns one by one.
    • Important Notes

    • Foot troops of the period were predominantly pike and musket the approximate average ratio on the battlefield at this time was 75% Pike to 25% Musket.
    • Owing to the lack of accurate records of the time the numerical size of the forces is only approximate. Although representative and is therefore must not be regarded as accurate.

    Useful Links

    The English Civil War

    The Causes of the English Civil War

    A History of Black Powder Guns

    The Levellers - The Political Movement

    Oliver Cromwell: Lord Protector of the Commonwealth


    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A87848220

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more