Digital Bridge Cameras, AKA The Mirrorless Cameras.

1 Conversation

Digital Bridge Cameras, AKA Mirrorless Cameras.*


Description Of A Bridge Camera

What is a bridge camera? The simple way to describe it, is to say that it is similar to an SLR (single lens reflex) camera without the mirror(s). *. Why a mirror? In an SLR the view from the lens is diverted by an angled mirror* positioned between the film or the image sensor. This mirror directs the image up into the viewfinder. When a photograph is taken the mirror is mechanically lifted to allow the picture to be exposed on the film or the image sensor. This system allows the photographer to see a true image in the viewfinder of the subject of the photographing, a proper lens eye view. This is an improvement on the Digital Pocket Camera as they only provide an image preview on the cameras rear screen, (difficult to see in bright sunlight) or an offset viewfinder, which will not display a view of the zoom in use.

So a bridge camera is very similar to the SLR but has no mirrors. The image that seen through the lens is electronically sent to the receiver in the viewfinder, giving you the lens eye view, and also sent to a larger screen in the camera back. A compact digital just has the back screen or an offset viewfinder. It is therefore bridge between a basic digital camera and a full SLR either film or digital.

One thing to remember is that a bridge camera is not a poor man's SLR. These cameras can produce results equal to any SLR more than 90% of the time*, they are limited only by their fixed lenses and accessories and attachments available to the SLR user. But as a serious SLR and two or three lenses will cost over £3,500 and they can be quite inconvenient to carry around. *

Good Points

They are equipped with a single multi purpose zoom lens, making them easy to carry and use.

A benefit of a digital shutter system is an increase if the Frames Per Second or FPS rate. This makes it easier anyone to take good fast action and nature photographs.

More sophisticated than compact digital cameras, allowing the use of filtres, complex flash units. They are commonly programmed with photographic filters and techniques such as panorama and camera effects such as pop colour* in black and white images.

As as they are so easy to use they could encourage lazy photography. That is no problem as a novice can achieve good results from the start. A skillful photographer however can get some superb results. But remember try and "see" the photograph in your minds eye before you pick up the camera. All this means you will get good results and not find yourself rapidly outgrowing this type of camera.

Quirks

Digital Bridge Cameras often have video capability. This a mixed blessing as the results are often very disappointing. If you use the film option don't make the two big mistakes. The first is zooming whilst filming moviemakers seldom use it. Remember almost all cameras will make some noise on the soundtrack of your film. Also not using a tripod when filming can lead to you producing blurred and unstable images.

Even small memory cards now can hold over 1,000 images, this freedom will encourage creative experimentation, will this inevitably improve you as a photographer. Regular downloading and editing is advisable to keep track of your work.

Getting prints produced can be expensive, but at least you don't have to print every image to see your results. If you take a lot of photographs it is an idea to invest in a decent printer. Ink jet printers are now quite inexpensive and produce excellent photographs and enlarged prints.

Common Features

  • Autofocus.
  • Auto exposure.
  • Auto power off.
  • Good macro capability.
  • Built in flash.
  • Tripod mount.
  • Rechargeable battery supplied with charger.
  • The camera will imprint the time day and date tag on all images
  • Geotag on some cameras. It can be very useful if you travel a lot, and do not download very often. So do ask.

A Few Makers Of Digital Bridge Cameras Include. This list is incomplete and is only representative of the range available from non specialist stores.

  • Cannon.
  • Fuji.
  • Kodak.
  • Leica.
  • Nikon.
  • Olympus.
  • Panasonic.
  • Pentax.
  • Rollei.
  • Samsung.
  • Sony.
  • Yashica.

Important Tips and Notes

  • If the camera does not come with a case, buy good one you will never regret it. Besides giving protection the keep the dust off.
  • Buy large memory cards but not too large as you have to find your images. Several smaller ones are more useful, buy different cards from good makers so you can identify the contents.
  • Try and store on a separate HDD but file with care. It is unwise to only store on your PC it might malfunction.
  • If you take a lot of photographs edit ruthlessly delete duplicates and out of focus and file on the PC by subject, year and month, file events such as holidays, weddings etc separately.
  • If you are on a budget why not consider a pre owned camera, remember that cameras are pampered possessions so used one is normally in excellent condition. Thought is advisable to buy from an established used camera dealer, you will normally get a warranty and technical support.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87848978

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more