Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras. AKA The DSLR.

1 Conversation

Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras.*


Description of Single Lens Reflex Camera

What is a Single Lens Reflex camera or DSLR? The single lens is easy to enplane, the camera is equipped with only one lens. However the major benefit of this type of camera is the lenses are interchangeable. There is huge variety of lenses available ranging from the wide angle, to extreme telephoto. This gives the user vast creative scope. However, this does come at a price and puts this type of camera in the expensive end of the hobby. Although the DSLR offers a several pre programmed modes (essentially point and click) the user has full control of all three of the operations of the camera, focus, shutter speed and aperture. This will allow the user a vast creative scope only limited by equipment or experience.

Single Lens

An SLR’s operation is very similar that of a bridge camera, the main difference is the photographer uses the viewfinder to see through the camera’s lens when composing a photograph. There is a mirror * that directs the image up into a second mirror, this mirror is lined up with the eyepiece of the viewfinder. This is why the camera is known as single lens, previous systems has a lens for the photograph and a second for the viewfinder.

Reflex

This the where the reflex part of the mechanism comes in. When a photograph is taken the mirror is mechanically lifted to allow the picture to be exposed on the film or the image sensor. The action is similar to the reaction that occurs when a doctor tests the reflex in the leg. As the mirror starts and returns to the same place you are always ready for the next shot.

The beauty of this system allows the photographer to see a true image in the viewfinder of the subject in the photograph, a proper lens eye view.

There is also a huge array of lenses and accessories and attachments available to the SLR user. The main reason being that the SLR started in the era of 35mm film, so system has been around for nearly 50 years. The Digital SLR is a modification of the image reproduction not the camera.

The Digital SLR is capable of producing superb results, not because it has a better imaging system than the bridge camera, it is simply the variety lenses.
The sheer variety quality and is astounding and this gives the DSLR the edge for the serious hobby and professional photographer. It comes at a price as a serious SLR and two or three lenses can cost over £4,500 and they can be quite inconvenient to carry around. *

If you are on a budget don't despair the used bargains are out there. If you go for a pre-owned don't forget cameras are pampered possessions so a used camera is normally in excellent condition. If you want a warranty and technical support it is advisable to buy from an established used camera dealer.

Good Points

They have the ability that allows you to change lenses. They can even be attached to some microscopes or astronomical reflex telescopes.

A benefit of a digital imaging system is an increase if the Frames Per Second or FPS rate. This makes it easier anyone to take good fast action and nature photographs. This type camera will challenge you and you will enjoy using one.

More sophisticated than compact digital cameras, allowing the use of filters, complex flash units. And as in the bridge cameras are commonly programmed with photographic filters and techniques such as panorama and camera effects such as pop colour* in black and white images.

As with bridge cameras DSLR's are so easy to use they can encourage lazy photography. That is no problem as a novice can achieve good results from the start. A skillful photographer however can get some superb results. But remember try and "see" the photograph in your minds eye before you pick up the camera. All this means you will get good results and not find yourself rapidly outgrowing this type of camera.

Quirks

They often have video capability. This a mixed blessing as the results are often disappointing. If you use the film option don't make the two big mistakes. The first is zooming whilst filming and can look poor quality. Note and all cameras will make some noise on the soundtrack of your film. The second is not using a tripod when filming and producing blurred and unstable images.

Even small memory cards now can hold over 1,000 images, this freedom will encourage creative experimentation, this will inevitably improve you as a photographer. Regular downloading and editing is advised to keep track of your work.

Getting prints produced can be expensive, but at least you don't have to print every image to see your results. If you take a lot of photographs it is an idea to invest in a decent printer.

Before you purchase a Digital SLR make sure the few benefits it has over the bridge camera is worth it to you. General image quality will be very similar unless you buy a poor quality camera.

Common Features

  • Autofocus.
  • Auto exposure.
  • Auto power off.
  • Ability to change lenses.
  • Built in flash.
  • Tripod mount.
  • Rechargeable battery supplied with charger.
  • The camera will tag the time day and date tag on all images
  • Geotag on some cameras. It can be very useful if you travel a lot, and do not download very often. So do ask.
  • Some cameras now have the ability to connect to your smart phone or tablet. This allows you to remotely control your camera and see the viewfinder image allowing you to press the remote shutter at the right time.

A Few Makers Of Digital SLR Cameras Include. This list is incomplete and is only representative of the range available from non specialist stores.

  • Canon.
  • Fuji.
  • Leica.
  • Nikon.
  • Olympus.
  • Panasonic.
  • Pentax.
  • Rollei.
  • Samsung.
  • Sony.
  • Yashica.

Important Tips and Notes

  • If you take large numbers of photographs create photo bookmarks - after the session write the date and location of the days work on a sheet of paper. Take a photo of the information on the paper to record the details, it saves all the bother of keeping a photo diary.
  • Just in case you need reminding never point the camera at the sun it may damage your eyes and the camera.
  • If the camera does not come with a case, buy good one you will never regret it. Besides giving protection the keep the dust off.
  • Buy large memory cards but not too large as you have to find your images. Several smaller ones are more useful, buy different cards from good makers so you can identify the contents.
  • Try and store on a separate HDD but file with care. It is unwise to only store on your PC it might malfunction.
  • If you take a lot of photographs edit ruthlessly delete duplicates and out of focus and file on the PC by subject, year and month, file events such as holidays, weddings etc separately.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87848996

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more