The Post Quiz: Useless Factoids - Answers

0 Conversations

The 'Useless Facts' thread on h2g2 is a mine of fascinating, though useless, information. Match wits with our nitwit posters.

Useless Factoids: Answers

Spaghetti.

Aren't you glad h2g2 is here to tell you these things? How else would you get through life?

Here are the amazing answers, according to our witless…er, witty correspondents.

  1. The word 'guacamole' is derived from two Nahuatl words, 'ahuacatl' and 'molli'. What does 'guacamole' mean, according to its original etymology? Testicle sauce. Someone had to ask.
  2. What is a single strand of spaghetti called? A spaghetto. This is only logical. (And Italian.)
  3. What part of the United States has the area code 321? Cape Canaveral. Naturally.
  4. What useful office supply was invented by Monkee Mike Nesmith's mother? Liquid paper. She made a believer out of millions of typists.
  5. What interesting feature did Dr Schrödinger's door in Vienna have? A cat flap. Why not?
  6. What king of England had Uranus named after him in 1781? George III. Oh, the jokes Ben Franklin could have told about that one…
  7. What 'medicine' sold in the 1830s was known as 'Dr. Miles' Compound Extract of Tomato'? Ketchup. Anticipating Garrison Keillor's Ketchup Advisory Board.
  8. According to the Useless Facts geniuses, what is the meaning of the word 'gambrinus'? Full of beer. (Meaning 2 says, 'See Pastey'.)
  9. According to medical historians, why did Ivan the Terrible have such a terrible attitude? Worms. They've been studying his portraits.
  10. Where does German Chocolate Cake get its name? Baker Sam German.

We acknowledge that your lives may not exactly be richer for knowing these facts, but we still argue that the collection of useless knowledge is so much a part of life in the 21st Century that it is a skill worth cultivating. Drop in on the Ask thread from time to time, and share a piece of truly useless information with the...er, sages there.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

12.10.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87861225

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more