Writing Right with Dmitri: The Thousand Words Challenge

0 Conversations

Writing Right with Dmitri: The Thousand Words Challenge

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old, inaccurate saying.

If a picture's worth a thousand words, why write? Because it isn't really true. Pictures often raise more questions than they answer. Take this, for example:

A banana vendor.

At first sight, you have a number of questions: does that woman find the bananas satisfactory? Is the salesman asking a fair price? What kind of patter is he using? Is he claiming the bananas are special in some way? What about that guy who's looking at the camera? Is he the woman's son, and is he mad that somebody's taking his mom's picture? Or, maybe, he's on the run, and doesn't want to be recognised? A lot of possibilities spring to mind.

The Library of Congress is no earthly use here. The title of this picture is, 'Early banana importers and distributers were mostly Italian immigrants.' Thank you so much. The date is 'circa 1900' and the description reads, 'People selecting bananas from a cart at an open-air market.' And of course we know that bananas, a new product, were a hot item in the US at that time. But the rest of it is up to our imaginations…

One picture, a thousand words. What could you make out of that picture? An essay on economics and fruit imports? A mystery tale? A romance? A comedy involving banana peels?

Tell you what: have a go. Prove those photographers wrong. A picture isn't worth a thousand words – except in the sense that it inspires a thousand words of good storytelling.

Stick your prose in an A-space, and link to it at the bottom of this page. I dare ya. (You can also use it as one of your daily posts for NaJoPoMo.)

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

09.11.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87862530

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more