The Post Quiz: Flying Buttresses and Other Mysteries: Answers

0 Conversations

Gothic architecture: Your first choice when redecorating.

Flying Buttresses and Other Mysteries: Answers

Everybody knows where to find some good Gothic architecture, right? Just ask your local heavy metal fan.

This quiz reminds me of the North Carolina technical drawing class. The instructor said, 'You need to make that line perpendicular.'

The student replied, 'This is the only colour pencil I've got.'

The drawing instructor changed professions. (Seriously.)

Here are the answers.

Architecture quiz.

From: T Roger Smith, Architecture: Gothic and Renaissance, London, 1880.

(Snarky comments added 2016.)

Terms:

  1. Lancet arch. See how it sort of pierces upward?
  2. Depressed Tudor arch: It must have been listening to Cranmer's sermons.
  3. Early English shaft: no comment. No, really.
  4. Buttress: Holds up the building from outside.
  5. Early English capital: A capital idea.
  6. Decorated crockett: Coonskin cap optional.
  7. Diaper in spandrel: For those wet days.
  8. Battlemented parapet: Everyone needs one – for when the local pamphleteers come around. Pails of water, for the dropping from.
  9. Late Perpendicular window head: Better late than headless.
  10. Flying buttress: Go tell somebody that joke about Winston Churchill and the flying buttress.

Be the first on your block with a flying buttress. We dare you. Send a photo to the Post.

A perpendicular window head.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.01.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87865807

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more