The Post Quiz: It's the Law

1 Conversation

Do you have your natural law degree?

The Post Quiz: It's the Law

Gravity: not just a good idea. It's the law!

Back in the Enlightenment, people kept nattering on about 'natural law'. But they hadn't really written enough of those 'natural laws' down. More modern observers have taken care of that: regularities in the world around us are codified into 'laws', 'principles', 'theorems', and the like. And, of course, whoever gets there first has the naming rights. (And they can't sell them to Coca-Cola.)

Match these laws to their authors.

AuthorLaw
  1. Newton's Law
  2. Einstein's Law
  3. Archimedes' Principle
  4. Bell's Theorem
  5. Buys Ballot's Law
  6. Grimm's Law
  7. Leibniz's Law
  8. Murphy's Law
  9. Godwin's Law
  10. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
  • Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
  • Energy equals mass times the velocity of light squared.
  • As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.
  • A word beginning a voiceless stop such as /p/ in most Indo-European languages has for its cognate sound an aspirant /f/ in Germanic languages.
  • No physical theory of local hidden variables can ever reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics.
  • The upward buoyant force that is exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, whether fully or partially submerged, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces and it acts in the upward direction at the centre of mass of the displaced fluid.
  • There cannot be separate objects or entities that have all their properties in common.
  • Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
  • Every object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless compelled to change its state by the action of an external force.
  • In the Northern Hemisphere, if a person stands with his back to the wind, the atmospheric pressure is low to the left, high to the right.

You knew all these, right? Because you never fell asleep in class? Check your answers by clicking on the picture.

A parachute - surely the best way to fall out of a plane (especially with a brightly-coloured flare attached to you).
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

11.04.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87870199

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more