The Post Quiz: Decipher This

0 Conversations

Are you ready to become a cryptographer?

The Post Quiz: Decipher This

Did you know that the guy who ran the cryptography lab for the US during World War I started out by trying to prove that Francis Bacon wrote the works of Shakespeare?

Neither did we, but it's a weird enough reason for all you spies-in-training to try out this puzzle. It's an actual letter by 'Colonel' George Fabyan, aforesaid nutcase, to a [real] General Churchill back in 1913. Problem is, a vital sentence is coded. See if you can decipher it.

If you succeed, there's a time machine waiting to take you to Bletchley.

CHICAGO

Sept. 6, 1913

Dear General Churchill:

I carefully note letter of September 2nd, over your signature. SGDQDHRMNLNQDFTDRRHMFHMBQXOSNFQXOGXSGXMSGDQDHRHMXKFDAQX. "Guessing" is undignified – "assumption", sounds lots better.

I don't question the sincerity of any of the General Officers but some of the subordinates have made us dance without giving us a chance to select the tune, but I suppose we will forget it some day.

If Riverbank had invented a cipher and 1 had put myself on record tliat it was indecipherable and had been awarded the D.S.M. and had the cipher printer especially mentioned in the citation and my boss had been made the Knight of St. George and St, Michael on account of the machine printing across the ocean , I doubt if I would be very enthusiastic about anybody proving that "my doll was stuffed with sawdust1" and I think I very likely would put as many obstacles in their way, I enclose copy of a message sent us by Lauborgne sometime ago which we never tried to work on because it was not long enough and yet, when he was here, he said we had no right to jump at any conclusions as to the number of cycles or the length of the message. He knew, at the time, we wanted three complete revolutions of the tape and left us to infer that this message covered that and confirmed it when he was here.

I wish, if possible, someone in the M.I.D. could ascertain in regard to this and see if the message is not less than one cycle and for that reason, impossible to decipher.

I don't understand Why Lauborgne don't send us the messages. The machine has been set up for over three weeks and yet, he cannot send us two hours work but asks for one delay after another, Which Riverbank construes as trying to get another scheme to work out.

Sincerely yours,

[unreadable signature]

To: General M. Churchill,

Woodward Apartment,

2301 Connecticut Ave.,

Washington, P. C.

Declassified and approved for release bv NSA on 08-05-2014 pursuant to E.O. 1352.

(Notice we're carefully not breaking any laws.) For the answer, click the picture.

NOTE: The cipher is not really in the original letter. It was added by us, and we're duffers at this. George Fabyan was a real expert at cryptanalysis (his researchers laid the foundations for the NSA) who would never have stooped to such a wussy cipher.

A hand types away at the keys of a piece of Second World War codebreaking equipment at Bletchley Park, Buckinghamshire
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

09.05.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1We think this is a code message, and translates to 'my hovercraft is full of eels'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87871585

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more