The Post Quiz: Condiments - Answers

0 Conversations

Cold weather coming. Thinking about comfort food. Yum…pass this test on…

Condiments: Answers

Condiments are often sneered at by non-locals. Of course, their food addictions are always classier.

This quiz reminded me of a beloved professor of mine. He was a great medieval scholar, but a bit of a klutz. One day, we were having lunch in a very nice hotel restaurant near the university. My prof was holding forth on an exciting new project of his. His lunch – a club sandwich – arrived. He kept talking, while struggling with a sticky mayonnaise packet – which let go, rather explosively, just as the department head strolled past our table. The trajectory was unfortunate and involved a rather nice silk tie. Academic life can be fraught.

Here are the answers to the quiz.

  1. The oldest book in the Bible, Job, asks the rhetorical question, 'Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt?'
  2. The Romans kept garum on their dinner tables. The main ingredient is fermented fish.
  3. In Greece, try some tzatziki. To make it, you need to grate a cucumber.
  4. Your bread's too dry? Spread some Romanian zacusca on it. It's made of peppers and aubergines.
  5. Vinegar goes way back. The word vinegar comes from the French for 'sour wine'.
  6. If you don't like vinegar on your chips, try mayonnaise. It's popular in Belgium, and it contains eggs.
  7. Ketchup originated in China, but it was a popular homemade condiment in colonial North America. Back then, they didn't add tomatoes, because everybody knew those were poisonous.
  8. You like things sweet? How sweet? Sugar cane is sweeter, but in 1747, German chemist Andreas Marggraf made the delicious stuff from beets.
  9. In 1837, two chemists, John Lea and William Perrins, manufactured a new sauce that became wildly popular. Where was their chemist's shop? Worcester.
  10. Do you suffer from 'Chinese food syndrome'? You may be allergic to the popular flavour enhancer known as MSG, or monosodium glutamate.

This quiz should make you want to write a food-related Guide Entry. First, though, it will probably send you to the fridge.

A blob of ketchup
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

07.11.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87880044

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more