Doghouse Tails

1 Conversation

useless hound by Amy Ant

The Birth

Contrary to any rumours you may have heard, there are only two ways to give birth, Caesarean section or drugged to the point where you resemble Jim Morrison moments before rigor mortis set in. You may have come across the mythical term 'natural birth' - discount it instantly, skip the entire chapter. There is nothing remotely 'natural' about it.

Imagine a whale stranded on the north circular, a Juggernaut on either side and three lanes merging into one to get under the bridge at Stonebridge Park. You are the whale. It's rush hour and the traffic is moving very slowly. Every time the traffic lights change you move
forward. The juggernauts start to squeeze. You lose your breakfast. You stop. The lights change again, You move forward. The Juggernauts squeeze again. You lose the remaining contents of your stomach. Many, many hours and squeezes later, what is left of you reaches the bridge. The final assault is like clapping two bricks on a scrotum sac and seeing only one ball pop out - and you call that natural?

You arrive at the hospital. Having convinced the doctor that yourneeds are more pressing than his vindaloo induced gastro-enteritis, you are manhandled into the labour ward. Not 'wheeled' or, 'gently and reassuringly led'. No - Manhandled. For some strange reason the
majority of gynaecologists are men and as few of them have had their scrotums brick bashed, they all believe that giving birth is no more troublesome or painful than changing a tyre and missing the rugby semi finals. Note I say 'semi' finals.

'Come along, you've got hours to go yet. Don't make such a fuss'. All this as you clutch the nearest stationary object, knowing that any second your intestines are going to redecorate the floor. 'Women give birth every day. In China they drop them in the paddy fields and go straight back to work.'

'Arsehole.' You clench your teeth, praying for two building bricks and unrestricted access to his scrotum.

Time for the pre med. You lie back on the bed. There is no way you can actually see what the nurse is doing, Moby Dick rules out any chance of that. Your partner holds your hand and smiles weakly - well you assume he's smiling behind that ridiculous patch of green material
stretched under his nose and hooked around his ears. The rest of his face is a similar colour to the patch. Don't be fooled it isn't sympathy; it's just the death throes of his stomach and the sight of your complete sexual organs under the glare of a Brute. He will never ever make that documentary on the wonders of reproduction.

At this point the full horror of what is about to occur finally sinks in. Ayres Rock is going to go through Marble Arch. You start sweating. Now sweating during birth has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of energy expended, and absolutely everything to do with blind terror and total panic... Ayres Rock won't go through Marble Arch.

Just as the doctor says, 'Push'; you clench every working muscle in your lower abdomen. 'Get back you b*****d, you're not coming out that way!'

'Push.'

'F**k off!

You will also discover that you know several Anglo-Saxon swear words and are quite capable of using them all - often.

Realising at last that a natural birth is like pulling your top lip over your head, you beg for an alternative.

It's a toss up between a Caesar and the whole drug trip. On the plus side for the Caesar, a tiny scar below the bikini line and the reassurance that you're most fundamental orifice won't end up looking like the Channel tunnel. On the minus side - you do get to see most of it and what's left of your stomach muscles may never recover.

The epidural, pethadene, morphine, and 'any other drug you might happen to have available' route, is quite tempting. One of the few chances in your and your child's, life for serious legal drug abuse.

'Can you feel anything?'

By now you look like a voodoo doll, needles poking out from every available piece of flesh. The one in your back totally numbing all pain below the waist, and your head is well on its way to San Francisco, but spare a thought for your daughter. This is her first 'cosmic' experience - beg for a little more gas and air oh, and does that prick of a doctor have a Walkman handy?

Of course, you will get a Channel Tunnel, but if you have a word with the houseman who will no doubt be in charge of the mopping (and stitching) up, you could end up with a tighter model than the one you went in with.

Unfortunately, unless you heeded my warning in the opening paragraph, both options are now out of the question as Moby Dick is about to make her appearance.

The primeval scream, the sinking into unconsciousness. Men are so wet. He slides to the floor - no one takes any notice. Could it be that for the first time in your life you are going to be the complete utter and sole centre of attention? No such luck - as you split from thigh to thigh, Ayres Rock crashes through Marble Arch and Moby Dick arrives.

And it gets worse.

Doghouse Tails Archive

Useless Hound

09.01.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A922673

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more