Conventional Wisdom

3 Conversations

I attend science fiction conventions. Have done for almost ten years now and I have even been known to run the odd event at them. Origami Frog Wars, Combat Twister, Charity Stonings, that sort of thing. Sadly, for the last few years conventions in Glasgow, where I first started
attending this sort of shenanigans, have been some what sparse. The original organisers have moved on to greater things (There will be a WorldCon in Glasgow in 2005, sign up now before you need a mortgage) and those who were meant to step up and fill the gap have been found to be somewhat wanting.

So it was that last summer, attending a convention by the name of Damn Fine Con (and it was) in Shepperton, Nodnol, I made the foolish mistake of saying that if no one else did, I'd run a convention in Glasgow. By the end of the summer a theme, a place, a time and a small cabal of volunteers had appeared before I had time to realise what an idiot I was for agreeing to run something. I asked around those who had done this before, all of whom annoyingly told me it was a great idea and I'd do fine, before finally giving in and, in October we officially formed a committee and set to work.

The committee has worked well so far, with only the minimum of backbiting and whinging and only one real doozy of a fight over whither to have a formal dinner, we have a hotel arranged and we are now trying to think of every advertising trick in the book that five guys with no contacts can pull off. I expect much panic, bad planning and shear ego will be displayed over the next year and a bit, which I hope to chronicle here for your possible amusement in a sort of reality TV way. In the meantime, if you happen to be in the Glasgow area in May 2004 you may be interested to look at our website www.empirewideweb.com or indeed to read the following, from a more genteel and refined voice.

'Greetings weary traveller along the Internet SuperHighway, a sort of less noisome Silk Road I believe. I am penning this missive to you today to inform you of possibly the greatest social event of 2004. In the month of May of that year I and my fellow members of a secret and powerful cabal will be organising ConVivial, the Civilised Convention of Scientific Romance. Now what, I hear you cry into the ether, is this great source of Enlightenment to involve?


Well my cravers after knowledge, this shall be two days of the best in education, entertainment and edification of all things Victorian, Science Fictional and, I believe the term is, Steam Punk. Along side this shall be all the usual convention activities that one would expect from such an activity undertaken in the Second City of the Empire as well as a few extras, such as a formal dinner, with a guest speaker, ceilidh dancing as Queen Victoria used to enjoy, our very own Ivor Novello, if we can entice him back from the colonies, demonstrations of that most gentlemanly of arts, fencing, and a large number of stiff collars and corsetry.


Naturally there will also be levity often to be seen at these conventions and our Master of Games is currently combing the back alleys and debauched gin palaces of the student quarter
for ideas. Some he has so far researched include a 'disco' in the style of the infamous Moulin Rouge and some strange thing know as the light entertainment quiz show. Luckily, for those of a more upstanding character he has also suggested that sport of Kings, horse racing, with maybe the odd bet on the side, and a grand idea, Dirigible racing.'

So, what more do I have to say but come one, come all, simply everyone shall be there.

Munchkin

16.01.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A932825

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more