Fagley (Bradford, West Yorkshire)

4 Conversations

Fagley is a suburb of Bradford, Yorkshire, UK.
Potentially famous for producing a blind cricketer who went on to play for Yorkshire (bells in the balls enabled him to hit as well as any fully-sighted fella according to accounts), 'Fagley' largely refers to Fagley Road and the council estate it leads to, hence not many people actually know where Fagley is.

Fagley Road itself comprises of housing (terraced and some semi-detached), 2 newsagents, 2 fish n chip shops, 2 florists and 2 churches (St John's URC and St Mary's RC).

Fagley and Horses:
Fagley seems to have a surprisingly large number of horses for an urban area, although if you look beyond the initial housing and to the adjoining fields it's easy to recognise that until the start of the century much of this was farmland and a private estate. it's not unusual to see horses running wild up Fagley Road on an evening and grazing on any spare grass they find. Keeping horses is a popular hobby with many young people who live on the estate and there is also a small stud of miniature horses at the bottom of Fagley Road.

The nearby Industrial Museum also houses a team of Shire Horses that trundle down into Bradford city centre to pull flower-watering carts every day.

At the very bottom of Fagley Road lies a stream and strip of greenbelt land, including a bridleway which funnily enough never seems to have horses on it. The Blue Pig Public House, also at the bottom of the road is handy for a pint if you're going for a stroll in Ravenscliffe Woods.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A328493

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more