Students - Information For and About

0 Conversations

NOTE: THIS ENTRY IS A WORK IN PROGRESS (originally an update of an existing entry, A134957, though now a project in its own right). IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP THEN PLEASE LET GALIGAN KNOW.







Intro

Some School, picking a course, applying, getting in, getting there, then the parents leave...

Universities and Colleges, including Open Universities.

Students

Undergraduate, postgraduate, mature student.

Arts v Sciences

Student Life

Living

money, primarily needed for buying things to live with (course books/alcohol come later). Student loads, self funded, working though uni/college. Money saving tips, particularly with budget shopping. (students can regularly be seen in LIDLs etc)

Working

This is why they're here. Partying? That's just a perk, and not one you get quite so much with many lifestyles, which tends to be why students enjoy it so much. Courses, types of student on each course (basically stereotypes, though non-offensive and easily identifiable)

Playing

Now we get onto the good stuff. This is what students are notorious for. Any town where students are abundant is likely to also contain several locals who will tell you that 'all they do is make a mess'. Builders also tend not to like them because (in the UK at least) there is a drunken student cliche of stealling traffic cones and other assorted road works items which, upon waking the next morning, are often met with 'how the **** did that get there?'.
(lots of crazy uni stories for this section)

Leaving

'some students who spend too much time partying and not enough time working will find themselves out of uni before their time is up. this can also apply to those who, for whatever reason, aren't happy with what they're doing, maybe because of the place they're studying, maybe becasue of their course, whatever. for many reasons there are people who drop out of uni, and it is an unfortunate fact that these ones, while they're there, tend to be where the lazy student stereotype comes from. However, for those who do concentrate sufficiently on their studies, at the end of the tunnel there is a little event known to many as Graduation.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A39162233

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more