Catherine - The Video Game

1 Conversation

Released in 2012 on Both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Catherine is an oddity of a game, part interactive story and part puzzle.

The story parts are fairly straightforward. You play as Vincent, a young man engaged to Katherine who believes he is having an affair with Catherine.  During these phases you make choices. These choices determine whether other male characters live or die, and also the final ending of the game. The main attraction, however, is the puzzle sections. These occur as daily nightmares experienced by Vincent and are  push/pull block puzzles all with with escalating difficulties and a 'boss' at the end of each.

Gameplay


During the day Vincent is an ordinary man who goes to work,  has lunch with his friend and colleague, Orlando, and coffee with his girlfriend,  Catherine. During the evening he goes to a bar called The Stray Sheep. It is during this time that he can make choices to reply to text messages and talk to other people in the bar (or not) and that will determine the eventual ending of the game.

At night he is a sheep dressed only in boxer shorts and carrying a pillow. This where the puzzles begin. The puzzles are timed block push/pull/climb with Vincent trying reach the top while the lower blocks fall away.

After each stage he enters a lobby where there are other sheep to talk to. He can encourage them on (or not) and can learn new techniques in order to get to the top faster and overcome obstacles.  There is a 'confessional booth' at the end of this section where Vincent answers a question and is transported to the next stage of the nightmare for that night.

The final stage each night is a boss, not only are the lower block falling away but Vincent is being chased up them by an entity inspired by something in his waking life, such as a really creepy looking baby which turns up later as 'Baby with Chainsaw'. The puzzles become increasingly harder and introduce new types of blocks.

There are eight different endings which are based on your answers to the questions posed in the confessional before the final boss stage of the game. In order to complete all the endings it is possible to just save it before the final stage and change your answers.

Side Games

There are three side games which you can play.

Rapunzel

This is the arcade game in The Stray Sheep, on your first playthrough you can only play the game three times a night, although on your second play you have infinite lives. You play as a knight trying to reach Rapunzel in her tower. It is a simplified version of the main puzzle section, but rather than being timed and the blocks falling away from the bottom, you are limited to a certain number of moves. There are a total of 128 different levels.


 

Coliseum

Available from the start of the game, this is a variation on the Nightmare Stages which can be played by two players either cooperatively or competitively.


 

Babel

Another variation on the Nightmare stages which can again be played with two players but is only available once you have achieved a gold ranking in the main game on those stages. There are four stages which change every time you play.

Game versions.

There were several different versions of the game. The inlay on the Playstation 3 version was different to the Xbox360 version (although the alternate cover was on the back) and there was an Artbook available with some pre-orders. The Stray Sheep edition included a small pizza box, a t-shirt (as worn by Vincent himself) a poster and Stray Sheep drinks coasters. The 'Love is Over' edition included the same items as the Stray Sheep edition and also contained a pillow case and the Artbook. The last was only available through certain retailers.

Is it worth playing?

Catherine is a very quirky game. It received mixed reviews upon release with most of the opinion that it was worth trying. The puzzle sections on the Normal and Hard difficulty can be very challenging and the boss section can be quite infuriating. If you can find it second hand, though, it's well worth a punt.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87756835

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more