Become a fan of h2g2
What did you know? What's still to learn? Be the first to find out.
Famous Firsts (from the Edited Guide): Answers
Did you get them all? Check it out.
Here are the answers:
- What equipment did you need to run the first computer game?
A programmable data processor. The year was 1962, and the game was called SpaceWar!.
- Which country had the first manned space flight?
The USSR. Yuri Gagarin was the fellow's name, and he was aboard Vostok 1 – The First Manned Space Flight.
- What was Joe Clough of Jamaica the first black man to do in London?
Joe Clough was London's First Black Motorbus Driver.
- What was the world's first atomic-powered submarine called?
The USS Nautilus. Read all about the creation of USS Nautilus - the First Atomic Submarine.
- Everyone knows that carpenter William Banting built the Duke of Wellington's coffin. (Of course.) What important first is Banting also responsible for?
The first diet plan. He was probably tired of all those oversized clients in the casket business. Anyway, read about William Banting - the First Person To Market Dieting.
- What does the First Amendment to the US Constitution allow people to do?
Publish on the internet. (Because it guarantees freedom of speech.) Check it out: The First Amendment to the US Constitution.
- Which moon mission involved the first landing?
Apollo 11. In 1969, the world was electrified by Apollo 11, The First Landing.
- What was Wilbur Wright the first person to fly around the Statue of Liberty?
A canoe. Well, it was over water. Read all about the First Canoe to Fly Around the Statue of Liberty.
- What was Jonathan Wild famous for?
Being the first organised crime lord in London. It had to start somewhere, and in London, it was the 18th Century. Get all the juicy details in Jonathan Wild - London's First Organised Crime Lord.
- Just to see if you pay attention: what 'first' song did Ewan MacColl write for his girlfriend Peggy Seeger?
'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face', of course. You remember this from 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' – the Song.
Got them all right? Feeling pretty smug? How about going out and researching another Guide Entry?
You might be the first to tell about another 'first'.