Storyboarding

1 Conversation

Words, words, words. That's what we're made of. Herewith some of my thoughts on what we're doing with them.

Writing Right with Dmitri: Storyboarding

A man in green with a feather in one hand and drawing a theatre curtain with the other

No, not snowboarding. Figure that out on your own.

Have you ever read a tale in a workshop and ended up with lots of questions? I have. Questions like:

  • Where are these people?
  • What are they holding in their hands?
  • What are these events they're talking about?
  • How did Joe get from the living room to the cellar all of a sudden?
  • Where did that murder weapon come from?

You get the idea.

Most of our continuity problems come from being unable to visualise the sequence that's going on in the storyteller's head. (Rather like some of the emails I get at the Post.) The problem is that the writer is expecting the reader to fill in the blanks. That's dirty pool, and we won't have it.

The answer, of course, is to get the setting, the props, and the sequence of events firmly in your mind before writing. A bit of preparation is called for. That's where a storyboard – a sketch of events – comes in handy. Let's try it.

Example

Dieter and Heidi are courting. Dieter invites Heidi to come on a picnic. They end up in a romantic setting on a bluff overlooking the beautiful Blue Danube. Dieter's planning to pop the question.

Let's break this down:

  1. Dieter calls Heidi with an invitation.
  2. Heidi packs lunch, tells her mom.
  3. Dieter prepares.
  4. Dieter picks Heidi up. (Car? Horsecart?)
  5. There is a trip.
  6. They unpack lunch at the picnic site.
  7. The view is splendid.
  8. Dieter clears his throat.

Suspense.

What does this look like?

Dieter and Heid's Day Out

The saga of Dieter and Heidi.

See? Now you've got it in your head. You don't have to draw it, or even write it down. But you should be able to see it. If you've got it in your mind, the reader will follow you. Then you can fill in the telling details.

Write us some storyboards. Plenty of space below.

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

11.03.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87787101

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more