Narlesha the Dragonslayer: Part 8

1 Conversation

Narlesha the Dragonslayer

Part Eight


"Narlesha had a final task in mind. She ran for her bag of dung. The main stream which fed the river that flowed through and supplied the drinking and irrigation water of Bokorinin was not far off. Into that, she dumped the dung. The very fish fled downstream from the awful smell 1. Narlesha fled the other way, soon rejoining her comrades.

Narlesha pollutes the river.


"The procession sent by the mayor thus arrived at the lair to find nothing but the scraps, the dragon's carcass, more cave hyenas, and Narlesha's message, and when they returned, they found their town rendered uninhabitable by the stench 2 . The villagers fled but Narlesha paid the city of Samirkin out of the treasure to offer food and shelter to all the refugees – except for the mayor and council. Indeed, when the smell had dissipated a few weeks later and the residents could return to Bokorinin, she returned the treasure, apart from what she took to pay her accomplices (and generous as their payment was, it did not make much of a dent in the total) to the miners and townspeople on proviso that they be wiser in their next choice of public officials. Narlesha, never having needed the riches, returned to her father and the acclaim of her kinsfolk. For her, the best part was that for the rest of her life she never had to smell dragon dung again! Until this day, she is hailed a hero of our people, and inspired such sayings as 'to go Narlesha on someone' meaning to inflict deserved vengeance, and 'never stiff a dragonslayer'.

Narlesha returns the treasure.


"So, my friends, that is the story – and that is, how here in Karan-Spalaitin, you deal with politicians!"

The End.

Narlesha the Dragonslayer Archive

Willem

21.07.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1They survived … dragon dung is nasty, but not deadly.2A grammatically interesting case of literally reeking havoc.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87834874

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more