Giraffes and Cold, Cold Water

0 Conversations

This story's so good it's scary.

Giraffes and Cold, Cold Water

HMS Warrior.

From the age of five or six I had a recurrent dream, always the same, always meaningless to my childish frame of reference. Always very, very vivid and emotional on a scale that was too grown up for me to grasp.

I am standing. A young man, fully grown, long hair poking from beneath my grey cap, flapping in the sea air. Tears run, unnoticed, down my stubbled cheeks, dropping onto my grey tunic, merging with the spray to dark spots. My eyes don't falter, I do not look down as the cold, cold tide laps around the sword at my thigh, the chill Atlantic nothing against my flesh as I watch her leave.

The mighty steamer surges westward, back home, racing on to Carolina.

These names and places trouble my childhood memories, lost in the slipstream of a century's worth of events. Placed back in the box of dreams until next time I wake, tearful, regretting I will never see home again, worried for the outcome of a war long ago decided.

At least weekly these dreams come to tease and bemuse, on into my teenage years, always exactly the same, tears mingling with the grey Atlantic salt.

Why is an English boy dreaming of colonial civil war; why are English tears being shed, sometimes nightly, over a ghost ship – as I watch steam powered paddles slipping into the distance?

At the dawn on my manhood, as a sixteen-year-old apprentice, I found myself working at the local shipyard. Hundreds of years of naval history surrounded me on every side.

Grimy and dangerous work, looked down upon by an elite of managers, planners and naval draughtsmen from their wood lined office complex.

One such naval architect happened to be my elder sibling. I remember waiting at the reception, an errand of some importance now long forgotten, but being escorted into the hallowed halls. Each wall lined with photographs, paintings and etchings of the vessels commissioned by long gone owners.

I inhaled the woody scents, mixed with cigar smoke and the perfume of the secretaries that gave the young lad with long hair poking out from his cap and dirty grey overalls sidelong glances and, in some cases, flirting looks.

Three quarters down the corridor I stopped, heart welling and tears coming unbidden to my eyes, falling to create dark spots on grey, as I looked upon a depiction of the merchant ship Giraffe, a schooner rigged, double stacked paddle steamer, an ironclad. I knew then she was also a ship that was refitted in the UK in 1862 as the CSS Robert E Lee.

Her first run was to Wilmington in January 1863.

I smiled through my goosebumps, wiping the tears away, wondering who that soldier was and why he never went home but also knowing I would never dream that dream again. He was at peace, his story finally told and understood.

General Features Archive

FWR

26.09.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87878029

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more