A Conversation for Great International Breakfast Dishes

Bavarian Breakfast

Post 1

Pimms

I don't know whether this is highly typical or not, but the breakfasts I enjoyed the most were when I lived in an apartment in Munich, although I've been offered similar breakfasts in Austria and elsewhere in Southern Germany.

Each morning someone would pop down to the local bakery and bring back a mixture of freshly baked rolls (some with poppy or sesame seeds on, maybe some croissants or pain au chocolat (echt Deutsch!)) then these would be wolfed down with fleischsalat (chopped ham, mayonnaise, gherkins etc.), one of a variety of hams, jam, cheese, or just plain butter. Maybe a boiled egg too.

To drink it would be orange juice smiley - oj and coffee smiley - cappuccino or hot chocolate.

It certainly sets you up for the day.

Pimms smiley - stiffdrink

Bavarian Breakfast

Post 2

SchrEck Inc.

Hi Pimms,

I could confirm that, but this breakfast is not restricted to southern Germany, it's also common in northern Germany. Just the name for rolls varies locally from 'Brötchen' to 'Schrippen' (Berlin), 'Rundstücke' (Hamburg), 'Semmeln' (Bavaria), 'Weck'/'Weckla'/Weckle' (southern Germany except Bavaria) and whatever.

Editors, there's an excellent entry on German bread at A471340.

SchrEck Inc.

Bavarian Breakfast

Post 3

Pimms

smiley - ta for the range expansion and bread link SchrEck.
I considered putting "German Breakfast" but thought I should stick with my personal experiences.

Yes indeed Semmeln. Also have fond memories of Warme Leberkase and Weisswurst mit susse Senf, but couldn't recall whether - but yes I do! you can get them for breakfast. I recall travelling the U-Bahn while snow carpeted the ground, working the early shift at Pfanni (a dumpling factory), and having weisswurst and pumpernickel with mustard, during the breakfast meal break in their canteen. Happy days.

See A412534 for excellent article on Weisswurst

Bavarian Breakfast

Post 4

chickadee (wheee!)

i'm going to germany for two months this summer, will it be problem that i'm vegetarian? my group leader have said that i'll probably get enough, but......have you worldly people had a good vegetarian german breakfast? this should only be a problem for a couple of weeks while i'm in Jugendherbergen (ja, ich spreche Deutsch), the rest of the time i'm with a host family or the family of a friend. if it comes to being stuck eating german chocolate for brekfast every day, i could live with that...smiley - biggrin

Bavarian Breakfast

Post 5

chickadee (wheee!)

i'm going to germany for two months this summer, will it be problem that i'm vegetarian? my group leaders have said that i'll probably get enough, but......have you worldly people had a good vegetarian german breakfast? this should only be a problem for a couple of weeks while i'm in Jugendherbergen (ja, ich spreche Deutsch), the rest of the time i'm with a host family or the family of a friend. if it comes to being stuck eating german chocolate for brekfast every day, i could live with that...smiley - biggrin

Bavarian Breakfast

Post 6

chickadee (wheee!)

oops, dunno how that got posted twice

Bavarian Breakfast

Post 7

Pimms

I don't think you'll have a problem - you don't have to like wurst, schinken or other delicacies, but it helps.

As I said - cheese, jam or honey, butter, freshly baked rolls, fresh coffee and fruit juice - what does a vegetarian have for breakfast outside of Germany anyway?

How are you on cabbage? Lovely article involving kohl at A994430

Bavarian Breakfast

Post 8

Pimms

Sorry Chickadee, just teasing -
be warned I found the Pinkel and Kohl entry made me green at the gills, and I like german sausages

Bavarian Breakfast

Post 9

chickadee (wheee!)

i'm pretty sure i'll be fine on cheese and rolls ^_^ ....my teacher wasn't too positive baout how easy it'll be to avoid meat completely, like if the youth hostels gice us premade lunches, will i have to pick out the meat? it doesn't really fel vegetarian to me if it's touched meat, so.....just curious. i usually throw a banana and some strawberries, or whatever fruit is in season, into the blender with some soy milk. thanks for the advice! i'll be careful around the cabbage now, i think ^_~

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more