This is the Message Centre for Icy North

Earth Shortly To Be Devoured By Giant PacMan - It's Official

Post 1

Icy North

Scientists have discovered that if they process images from Tethys, a moon of the planet Saturn in a certain way, then it looks exactly like the star of the arcade game PacMan:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20510109

Yet, this is no throwaway item. The phenomenon has been properly documented and published in Icarus, an academic journal devoted to the publication of original contributions in the field of Solar System studies. The article's main author, CJA Howett, works at the Southwest Research Institute in Bolder, Colorado.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0019103512004204#

According to the article's abstract, they've been measuring the moon's 'bolometric Bond albedo', which sounds to me like a scientific description of the effect Daniel Craig has on women.

Howett's results provide 'strong evidence that MeV electrons can significantly alter icy surfaces.' But I wonder if he'd have published if he hadn't seen PacMan?

If ever there was a shoo-in for next year's IgNobel prizes, then this has to be it.

Post 2

Deb

Well I hope someone's alerted The Centre for the Study of Existential Risk: F19585?thread=8298451

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 3

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Between the zombies, killer robotic domestic appliances, a pac-man eating moon, and the inevitable metior strike, we don't stand a chance! damnit... I'm going to go find some of these hallucinogenic mushrooms and a raindeer to pass them though, if we're doomed to this extent one might as well try and ease the pain smiley - winkeyesmiley - run

Post 4

Recumbentman

Some people's reaction is always to take the piss

Post 5

Baron Grim

smiley - applausesmiley - rofl

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

And they say we don't need a tinfoil hat smiley. smiley - cross

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

We're doomed! We're doomed! Doomed I tell ya... smiley - runsmiley - run

Post 8

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 9

Peanut

smiley - snork at post 4

Post 10

Titania (gone for lunch)

>>sounds to me like a scientific description of the effect Daniel Craig has on women>>

*sniggers*

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Icy North

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more