A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 16361

Icy North

50% of our energy needs could be obtained by harnessing the indignance of Daily Mail readers.

Post 16362

ITIWBS

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/24/kurds-fear-isis-chemical-weapon-kobani

Probabably mustard.

Special health issue, whenever mustard if deployed in a battlr or carelesslessly disposed of, there's a global flu epidemic.

Time be sure you're up to date on your immunizations.

Post 16363

Maria

"Something that can't last, and will only get more and more expensive. With so much reliance still on fuel that's running out, it's no wonder the government's fast tracking through fracking."

On contrary, it IS a wonder to spend lots of money on such a failure. Not only it won´t last and will be quite expensive in short and long term, it´s also the track of heavy pollution that fracking leaves during and after the process. It´s just the same: let´s make money now at the expenses of anything.

The logical thing to do is to promote renewable energies, but this time not as a fantastic excuse to feed fat cats with subsides, but as the only way we have to obtain energy , clean and cheap.

Renewables energies were about to start giving results , but this fascist govt. has choosen to cut all helps and favour the putos of the fracking industry.

Post 16364

Maria

Forgot to add Spain, but it´s just the same here and there.

Post 16365

Maria

Another evidence that we all are sharing the same worries, suffering the same problems and fortunately taking the squares to show it and hopefully to create an alternative to the bipartidism that only favour the interests of the big mafia:

http://occupydemocracy.org.uk/712-2/

All those british people remind me the Indignados movement. I hope the best outcome for you all.

Post 16366

Icy North

Felix Baumgartner's free-fall altitude record broken by Google Vice President:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/25/science/alan-eustace-jumps-from-stratosphere-breaking-felix-baumgartners-world-record.html?_r=0

Post 16367

Recumbentman

Wow. Did he also break the record Baumgartner failed to break, longest free-fall time before opening the parachute? Baumgartner seemed to somersault repeatedly before levelling out; did he get disoriented?

Post 16368

Icy North

Not sure about the duration, but on somersaulting the article says:
'He performed two slow backflips before a small parachute righted him'.

Interesting fact of the day:

Felix Baumgartner's name translates into English as 'Happy Tree Surgeon"

smiley - run

Post 16369

Baron Grim

Well, if you've ever seen an episode of the web cartoon series, Happy Tree Friends, a Happy Tree Surgeon is probably desperately needed. smiley - laugh

Post 16370

Pastey

Conservative MP says Labour Council doing it wrong: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-29810766

Okay, a little more on this one...

Bury Council have recently moved bin collection to once every three weeks, instead of every two. Although it's not quite as simple as that.
The bin men come every week, but each week they collect different bins, according to a rota. The grey general waste bin, the blue plastic/glass/metal bin and the green cardboard bin are collected every three weeks, but the brown garden and food waste bin is collected every two weeks.

Now, in theory this should be fine. Because anything that will cause a stink (rotten food etc) should be in the brown bin, and that's still collected fortnightly.

When they moved from weekly to fortnightly the same hoo hah was also put out. That it would lead to piles of rubbish in the streets with rats over-running everything.

This didn't happen.

I know this, because I live in this district. And while the council are certainly not great, and I disagree with a lot of their works, there's nothing wrong with the rubbish collection service. The bin men are quick, and clean. The lorries don't stink and the workers pick up any litter they accidentally spill. They almost always put the bins back exactly where they find them, not leaving them in the road or in groups halfway down the road. They even smile.

So is this, like the article says, punishing residents who don't recycle? No. I'd say it's merely saving money by not giving them the opportunity to not recycle. I know of several families on my road alone that would over-fill their general waste bins in two weeks (there are some large families around here) so the council has made sure that they've got extra, large bins.

This whole article is one MP trying to get some political point scoring, and I'm fed up with this lack of politics.

Post 16371

Superfrenchie - new-ish ACE

So basically, the guy's talking a load of rubbish?

smiley - run

Post 16372

Baron Grim

There's no reason for trash talking here.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more