A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 16681

swl

"Common security measures seek to build trust and co-operation, to prevent destructive conflict, to build a just local and global society based upon fairness. In a Common Security framework potential adversaries co-operate to enhance each other's security and well being, rather than competing for military advantage in a spiralling arms race. An important element of common security is the progressive reduction and eventual abolition by treaty of all offensive weaponry."

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Then everyone sits around the fire singing Kumbaya I suppose.

Post 16682

Pastey

No, more like the way that the UN works.

It's not rocket (propelled grenade) science smiley - winkeye

Post 16683

hammondorgan

Page 2 of today's Telegraph, (or Torygraph if you prefer) "We would scrap Army and let all immigrants stay, say Greens", don't shoot the messenger, he's a devout coward and pacifist!

Post 16684

Pastey

So, a media outlet that's well known for not doing any fact checking, and for publishing biased stories is the source of that? smiley - laugh

Post 16685

swl

The UN works? Does it really?

Post 16686

Pastey

Yes. More so within its own member states.

Post 16687

Cheerful Dragon

Hubby saw a report this morning linking certain anti-cholinergic drugs to an increased risk of dementia. He didn't know what the drugs were, so I investigated. Most sites running the story had headlines saying that the drugs can or may increase the risk of dementia. Not the Daily Mail. Its headline? "Popular sleep remedies and hay fever pills 'increase risk of Alzheimer's by more than 50%'". The bit in quotes suggests it came from the report, but no other news report I've seen mentions this figure. Even if it's true, 50% of what? If the risk of developing Alzheimer's is 1%, a 50% increase is only 1.5%. Typically bad reporting from the Daily Mail. (The URL for the item actually says the drugs double the risk, which is not what a 50% increase means.smiley - rolleyes)

Post 16688

Baron Grim

I've developed a keen sense of selective filtering. If I see a story, I always check the URL and if Foxnews or DailyMail feature in the URL, I either just ignore the story, or search for another source. I also do the same for several far left websites like Rawstory and Alternet.

Post 16689

Icy North

Nobody ever believes me when I tell them that fibre network runs through the sewers, so here's today's fascinating Register article on it.

Count the scatalogical puns smiley - smiley

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/26/feature_zayo_fibre_network_in_london_sewers/

Post 16690

Pastey

There's a really good programme I saw a while ago about the Paris sewers, and what runs through them. The presentation style was awful, but the content was really interesting.

Post 16691

swl

smiley - laugh You might want to re-phrase that smiley - biggrin

Post 16692

Pastey

Nope, I think I phrased it just right.

Post 16693

hammondorgan

Article in the Times today, they're preventing fracking in beauty spots and National parks. Not before time if you ask me. My wife and I went for a picnic in the car park at Wittenham Clumps back in the Summer. Some of the stuff that was going on in the parked cars was nothing short of disgusting. It quite put us off our cucumber sandwiches. Good luck to the government in its drive for decency.

Post 16694

Baron Grim

smiley - laugh

Post 16695

Pink Paisley

Wittenham Clumps you say?

Where's that then?

Just wondering.......

PP.

Post 16696

Icy North

It sounds like a disease, and it's best not to ask.

Post 16697

swl

Sure I've seen them on the Old Grey Whistle Test.

Post 16698

hammondorgan

Highest point in South Oxfordshire, which isn't saying much as it's a very flat area, about a mile or so from Wallingford, (where you say?) which is managed by a nature trust, what I'm wondering is why you want to know PP? See you there perhaps?

Key: Complain about this post