A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 16901

Pink Paisley

I've tried not to respond to this issue. But I do have an interest.

Andreas Lubitz may well have been suffering from depression and it may well be that which drove him to do what he appears to have done. The thought that he might crash a plane may well have crossed his mind at some point and it is entirely possible that he had not set out on this flight with that in mind as well. He may have 'rehearsed' this in his mind and may never have intended to carry it out, but faced with the opportunity, may have been utterly consumed with the thought. That CAN be the nature of depression.

Depression is a dreadful illness to have to cope with. And it can lead people to do all sorts of things that most people would never seriously contemplate. I'm pretty sure that at some time in our lives, most of us, faced with a big problem, whilst scrolling through the possible solutions, will have considered suicide as an option. For most of us it will have been a very fleeting thought dismissed as highly impractical and an excessive reaction. For those who DO go down the route of suicide, it can become so all consuming, that the consequences for others don't even feature in the thinking.

If Andreas Lubitz did set off on the flight with the intention to kill himself and 149 others, that is something other than depression. It shows some forward planning and intent.

It has been said by an ex-girlfriend (allegedly) that he said (allegedly) that one day, he would do something that would ensure that everyone knew his name. If by this he meant something notorious, that shows some psychological problem. This is easier to screen for than a psychiatric problem.

It's complicated and I suspect that we will never know whether he was suffering from psychopathy / personality disorder or a man suffering from depression.

Many people suffer from mental illnesses. Very few of them ever hurt anybody. Of those who do, most will hurt themselves.

PP.

Post 16902

Florida Sailor - Splice the Main Brace

The crux of the problem - there is no reason to publish the name or picture of the person. Giving them international fame only inspires others to emulate their acts for a similar reaction. You can give any details of their lives, but why do any of us need to put a personal identity to the person we did not know?

It only encourages a few sick individuals to do another heinous act for their 15 minutes of fame. This should also extend to assassins who kill famous people, why not just say the person who killed X and leave it at that, surely those who knew him will know who it was, otherwise it doesn’t matter.

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 16903

hammondorgan

F S, I'm sure you're dead right, we've had a recent case here of a young man absolutely copy-catting the behaviour of the evil so and so's who butchered drummer Rigby in London, the young man in question took the same weapons and was caught in the act of looking for a victim, he reportedly 'idolised' Drummer Rigby's murderers, he was sentenced to 21` years I think, and unbelievably to me some people were protesting it was too harsh!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more