A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How much money the BBC wasted to decieve H2G2

Post 21

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm sure there is no conspiracy, and that nobody responsible for h2g2 had the slightest idea that it would be sold this year.
I talked to Chris and Sam at the meet last year. They were full of plans for h2g2.
Plus, from what I understand, the budget cuts were decided by the government YOU (nobody in specific) elected. Or not, but it is what you got, and what you'll have to live with.
And it's not only online services which are closed. Did you see this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12283356

So, that's another 650 jobs lost. Go and write your MP, but don't accuse Nick o9r the BBC.

Post 22

Tony "Dreadful" Curtis - Black Amps Tear the Sky

Taff & BMT. Finger pointing and baseless accusations help nobody. If you want to help join h2g2c2. If you don't, then you'll just have to put up with it.

Post 23

Taff Agent of kaos

Mr d scout....." If you want to help join h2g2c2."

I CAN'T!!!!!!!

here at work I'm tied to the BBC and thats it!!!!

smiley - bat

Post 24

Taff Agent of kaos

"Poor Nick's trying his best to explain to us what's going on, and people are giving him nothing but abuse.

Would you rather the BBC had just turned the site off? With no message boards or way of contacting each other, the h2g2 community would've been right up a certain creek."

i am abusing no one, as a licences fee payer, i want to know!!!!!

why spend the extra money on the revamp, they could have just pulled the plug, said sorry the revamp is not going ahead due to bugetry constraints and let us go quietly into the night, like all the other boards,

notice they are not trying to sell off their other message boards, they have far bigger user numbers than us and would be a fantastic target for an advertiser based bussiness, we have been 'selected' eventhough we have low numbers, maybe they should stop refering to the MOT and call it The Market Testing!!

smiley - bat

Post 25

Z

We've been selected because they actually want us to survive. They could have switched us off on Monday. This community isn't one that can easily move onto a message board, not with the Guide and all the writing.

Post 26

Effers;England.

Yep I understand your anger Taff, because you can only get BBC at work.

(I've given up believing anything, it's all a stupid, 'piece of paper'.)

Post 27

<>

And I was supposed to know that how, exactly?

Post 28

Effers;England.

Mr. D I've read a few of your posts in various places and you are incredibly off-putting about the new thing. Your tone suggests the new thing will not be in the least bit caring.

I can't imagine how you thing your posting behaviour will encourage some of us to join. But whoopee for your tag.

Post 29

I'm sorry if that's how I'm coming across, but that's really not my intention. I do care and h2g2c2 cares... but people pointing fingers, making accusations and playing the victim won't bring out the warm and fluffy in me.

I really had no idea that Taff's work intertube only connected to the BBC (I presume there is no intertube at all chez Taff) so being shouted at for suggesting he(?) join h2g2c2 won't make me want to spread sunshine and rainbows either.

Post 30

Nick Reynolds

Just to bring some clarity into this and to reiterate some of the things I&#39;ve already said.

This is nothing to do with the cuts at World Service and it isn&#39;t really anything to do with the Licence Fee settlement. It&#39;s a part of the 25% cut in budget for BBC Online and the new structure for BBC Online. The 25% cut was agreed by the BBC Trust well before the Licence Fee settlement. The details of the new structure were only finally decided on towards the end of last year and well after the work for the refresh is started.

So if people are saying "they had decided to sell it ages ago and only did the redesign to make it more attractive to a new purchaser", then that is emphatically not the case.

Thanks

Post 31

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Come on folks whatever happens finger pointing aint going to get anyone anywhere.

Chill Pills all round.

And if people have energy to burn, and frustrations to be steamed off why not do this constructivly by engaging with h2g2c2 or some other plan?

FB

Post 32

Taff Agent of kaos

'So if people are saying "they had decided to sell it ages ago and only did the redesign to make it more attractive to a new purchaser", then that is emphatically not the case. '

i think i will wait and see on thatsmiley - winkeye

theres allways the freedom of information act, and everything allways comes out in the wash

smiley - bat

Post 33

Is it really worth all that hassle, Taff? What would we acheive by 'proving' that the BBC wanted to sell h2g2 all along?

Post 34

Taff Agent of kaos

<>

we would prove we were deceived and that licence fee payers money was used to bolster a lie, politicians bite the bullet and resign over this sort of thing all the time, the BBC are accountable to us ultimatly, the licence fee payers, how about treating us like addults and telling the truth, instead of spinning like an out of control Blair/Cambell combo???

smiley - bat

Post 35

But how do you know, at this stage, that there have been any lies on the BBC's part about this? You're making a lot of assumptions here, with absolutely nothing to back them up.

Post 36

Also, I strongly advise caution before making any further posts about this. If what you are alleging is not true you could at best have your posts removed for breaching the House Rule on defamation and at worst be accused of libel.

Post 37

Malabarista - now with added pony

Deeeeeeep breaths, everyone. smiley - zen

Of course, it's terrible for us that the BBC doesn't want to support h2g2 anymore, for whatever reasons.

But in the grander scale of things, losing the World Service (especially in Albania and China) is a lot more important, because for many people, they'll be one of the only reliable news sources available, rather than government propaganda... smiley - erm

Post 38

That's very true, Mal.

I'm unsubbing now. I hope Taff behaves himself.

Post 39

Effers;England.

Taff is behaving himself excellently, I'm completely with him.

Post 40

Z

I can't speak for everyone, but h2g2c2 is not about taking our friends and going to a new website, it's about taking h2g2 and moving it to a new server. And that means that if we do move then the entire community is moving - and that you can come too...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more