OK at Everything; Master of None... um... thing
My Cat Sucks1
I'm The Apprentice2 - or just plain old Paul. I aspire to a career in writing4; preferably something more engaging than the business designs I currently concoct on a daily basis. In truth, I feel rather like Kevin (on the right), constantly feeling my presence, wherever I work, somehow sits at odds with everyone else.
I have written a roleplaying supplement5 for the PARANOIA role playing game - called 'The Underplex' - as well as contributing to half a dozen other books in the range6. Alas, in the last few months I have found a few copies migrating into the 'Sale' and 'Clearance' section of local game stores. On the upside, this appears to have happened to the whole range, so I don't feel so singled out!
h2g2 launched on April 28, 1999. I wrote my first article for the Guide in May 1999, having joined a little after Douglas Adams appeared on the BBC's Tomorrows World programme7 promoting the launch of the site (largely due to the fact that my Internet connection was ultra-slow and the site was deluged with visitors throughout the whole programme).
I have since written many many articles, subbed many more - and hope to one day have my very own '50 Edited Guide Entries' tag8. I have made a conscientious effort to get two articles subbed every month - as well as ideally writing one of my own. Where the Muse remains allusive, I thoroughly enjoy digging little underdeveloped gems out of the Flea Market and giving them a new lease of life.
What Am I?
Under circumstances stranger than this I would be inclined to say that I was one of those people who feels trapped in someone else's life. Not in all ways... but, certainly trapped in someone else's career path. I have a creative tendency that seems to be singularly dampened by my decision to pursue a career in financial support systems... whatever that is.
My h2g2 Code is...
Once upon a time I generated this...
----BEGIN H2G2 CODE BLOCK----
RGB Y++ N+ SB A P-:- L- M s+ V++ E++ PR p- a- B+ TV+ r++ D T-- nh- C- m t++
-----END H2G2 CODE BLOCK-----
What Do I Enjoy Doing?
I spend a lot of time setting up, maintaining and tweaking web sites. I have an unhealthy fascination with web logs and journals; as a result, I have about half a dozen of them, or more, all gathering dust at the same time.
I enjoy reading roleplaying rules and supplements; watching Stargate and Doctor Who; playing Magic: The Gathering; levelling up in an online game called Gothador; watching the squirrels in my back garden; spoiling the family cats; spending time with the rest of my family; and, making concerted efforts to improve the quality of my writing.
Entries Trying for The Guide
In Peer Review:
Currently in sub-editting (my own and entries by others) or waiting for frontpage air time...
Looking to complete soon:
Looking to have updated soon:
Entries in The Guide11
I have either written or sub-edited 172 entries in the Edited Guide.
Entries written solo:
- A76414115 - Ombra della sera (Statue)
- A76791117 - 'The Olden Days' - the TV series
- A22958292 - The High-Rise Fire Curtain
- A23005649 - Toilet Paper Crash Mats
- A21605762 - Motorway Overtaking for a Better Britain
- A21605933 - Mixing Breakfast Cereal
- A21388458 - Reading in the Toilet
- A1113427 - Mammoth Cave, Central Kentucky, USA
- A2082890 - Rubbish Bags
- A425927 - A52 - M1 Junction 25 into Nottingham Centre
- A436321 - Four Types of Bok
- A446311 - Queensbridge Road car Park, Nottingham, UK
- A446348 - Hair-Growing Cat Soap
- A447833 - Cat Collars
- A454646 - Identity Games
- A454682 - 'Blind Date' (UK) - the TV Series
- A464960 - Twisty Ties
- A471142 - Plastic Storage Containers
- A471278 - Phlogiston
- A471287 - Trepanation12
- A471368 - 'The Carpet People' by Terry Pratchett
- A471377 - Smiths Salt 'n' Shake Crisps
- A471548 - Surviving Being Eaten by a Whale13
- A476813 - 'Automan' - the TV Series
- A476822 - The Internally Explosive Nail
- A480278 - Wheelie Bins14
- A493553 - Blu-Tack
- A505775 - 'Bagpuss' - the TV Series15
- A513587 - 'Manimal' - the TV Series
- A513631 - Games to Play while Serving on a Supermarket Checkout
- A521993 - Novelty Sports Mini-Games
- A531956 - 'Metal Mickey' - the TV Series
- A533774 - Radiation Energy Detection Units
- A534674 - Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks
- A534782 - 'James Bond Jr' - the TV Series
- A539570 - Space Crusade - the Strategy Game
- A545203 - Coffee Republic, Waterstones, Nottingham, UK
- A577037 - Themed Lego - 'Star Wars'
- A584831 - Starlightlines Employee Forum
- A668423 - 'Rispin's Rhymes' - the TV Series
- A787809 - WonderWorld, Corby, UK
- A795567 - Driving - Good and Bad Habits
- A821675 - Bluffing Your Way in Pokemon
Rescued from the Flea Market:
- A30777618 - Scrabble: The Word Game
- A28808490 - Plastic Bags and the Environment
- A27371559 - Torchwood - the TV Series
- A21776682 - Places to Sleep in Hearst, Ontario, Canada
- A22084364 - Lip Balm Addiction
- A1126225 - 'Bargearse' - the TV Series
- A1118341 - Baths and the Art of Bathing in the UK
- A866009 - The Sagahemmet - A Night's Free Accommodation in Uppsala, Sweden
- A3913544 - Tampons
- A668432 - 'Street Hawk' - the TV Series
- A665237 - Staple Removers
- A307964 - PARANOIA: The Tabletop Role Playing Game
Entries contributed to:
- A530623 - Taxis
- A517097 - Judge Dredd - Lawman of the Future
- A397398 - Things to Keep Children Amused on Long Journeys
- A381115 - Freddy Krueger and the 'Nightmare on Elm Street' Films
- A630 - London Black Cabs
|Messages left for this Researcher||Posted|
|Message to Volunteer - The Apprentice||Jul 29, 2012|
|Apprentice - we need you||Sep 13, 2011|
|[no subject]||Jun 23, 2011|
|Hi Apprentice!||Apr 8, 2011|
|Subbing Ombra Della Sera||Nov 8, 2010|
|Conversation Title||Latest Post||Latest Reply|
|2016-05-29 Note from Robbie Stamp. Of Leopards and Spitting||No Posting||6 Hours Ago|
|2016-05-29 Tech Announcement: New Login||No Posting||8 Hours Ago|
|2016-05-25 Informal announcement: Happy Towel Day everybody!||No Posting||3 Days Ago|
|A759279 - Duality of Human Nature In Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde||No Posting||3 Days Ago|
|A3839204 - British Action Heros.||No Posting||4 Days Ago|
This user has no Entry subscriptions
Most Recent Edited Entries
- Cold Weather Adapted Cats
- Roman Fleet Types and Patrol Areas
- Lentil and Bacon Soup
- Lolcats - Words, Pictures, Theology
- Fingerless Gloves
- Ombra Della Sera - Etruscan Statue
- Fingerless Gloves
- Scrabble - The Word Game
- Torchwood - the TV Series
- Plastic Bags and the Environment
h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of Not Panicking Ltd. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."