Understanding New Yorkers
If any of you decide to visit the State of New York (The Empire State) or New York City (The Big Apple)
Know this about New Yorkers.
1) New Yorkers believe they are better than thou
2) New Yorkers believe they are always right and everybody else is wrong.
3) New Yorkers have an opinion or a view on about everything in the galaxy (including the galaxy)
and if a New Yorker doesn't have an opinion on a particular subject or event....the New Yorker had decided it was not worth the time spent dwelling upon it and had either ignored it or immediately dismissed it.
New Yorkers consider their state split in half. Those who reside in the upper half of the state call themselves "Upstaters". Those who reside in the lower half are called "downstaters". Both believe they know what's better for the other...and everybody else.
New York City (The Big Apple)
Giovanni da Verranzano,An Italian explorer, discovered the mouth of a great river (New York Harbor/Hudson River) in 1524. He wrote, "we found a very pleasant situation amongst some steep hills ... ," but did not continue exploring what he called, "The River of the Steep Hills" and the "Grand River."
Henry Hudson began exploration of the river on September 12, 1609. Hudson called the river the "River of Mountains". Soon after, the Dutch arrived and the rest is history.
New York City is located in the lower half of New York State.
Presently, New York City is divided into five boroughs. Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and The Bronx, totaling 359 square miles. Until January 1, 1898, when the Charter took effect, New York City consisted of only Manhattan Island.
New York City is privileged to enjoy a very long history and its occupants are very diverse. The people of New York City are considered to be the true "New Yorker". Most people believe that these traditional New Yorkers are rude and brash. This is often a misconception the visitor assumes when they first come into contact with a New Yorker. This page will attempt to clear up this misconception.
Though the people are from different cultures they all share some commonality, which is very apparent to a visitor or tourist. First, see the above description of a New Yorker. Keeping that in mind, consider the following:
1) New Yorkers are very hard working, busy people. They can't stand being delayed and will become quite irritable if unduly detained.
2) New Yorkers are always in a hurry. Their very existence depends on them being at some appointed place at a specific time.
3) New Yorkers are stress addicted. New Yorkers work hard and they play hard. The more stress in their lives, the happier they are. When New Yorkers are not striving to succeed in the work place, they flock to gyms or nearby parks for a quick physical workout. Some work places have in house gyms, which many New Yorkers believe to be a benefit for them.
This section will display details of any Postings this Researcher makes, when they get around to talking to the rest of the Community. Conversations are really fun and are the best way to meet people, as well as the best way to get people to visit your own Personal Space, so lets hope they join in soon.
This user has no Entry subscriptions
Most Recent Approved Entries
h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of Not Panicking Ltd. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.
Joyrider has no Followers
- This user has no Bookmarks