A Conversation for 'Star Wars' - the Films

Errata and other stuff...

Post 1

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

It says actors received a percentage of the gross rather than a smaller fee up front - think you mean "rather than a larger fee"...

Chewbacca is a Wookiee, not Wookie...

"The ability to strangle those around them just by holding their hands out. Again, this power doesn't work on other Jedis, Siths, strong-minded people or Toydarians."

First off, Jedi don't tend to use this power - it's not very sporting. Secondly, the choke is using the force to physically manipulate the throat - being strong-willed or force-resistant (not just Toydarians, Hutts too) is irrelevant. Only by being able to wield the force yourself (and better than the choker) can you counteract it. Unless you break their concentration, of course.


And a few comments having looked at the article and the attached discussions:

Jar-Jar may have been a travesty, but he did give us Yoda fighting - Lucas realised he needed a CGI Yoda and decided to experiment with a character that had similar skin tones and loose clothing to make sure it was possible.

As some have said elsewhere, the very first release of Star Wars just had "Star Wars" at the top of the crawl - no Ep IV, no New Hope - he had enough story ideas for 9 films, but only had funding for one. SO he grabbed the chunk that would work best as a one-off (assuming there might never be another) - and once the cash rolled in and sequels were confirmed he added the subtitle.



Apart from that, great entry. It's not easy to take something so loved and give an engaging yet concise overview of it. Hopefully a less indifferent (or something ruder) ACE than Oberon will pick up these comments...


Errata and other stuff...

Post 2

Ellen

Wow, I've been a Star Wars fan for ages, and never realized that wookiee was spelled with ee. But I looked it up in the script, that is right!


Errata and other stuff...

Post 3

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Typos - Good for picking those up. Post to <./>Feedback-Editorial</.> and they'll change them (eventually!)

Jedi Strangling - Really? How come Darth Vader never does this to Luke and kill him. He was clearly stronger in the Force at the time (ESB).

The original scroll - Now this is a discussion that has been going on for some time and has even attracted the attention of one of the Italics. Go here -> http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20021031.html to see what Lucasfilm has to say on it... Although several have disputed this!

The Indifferent Oberon2001 (replying 'cos he put together this entry)


Errata and other stuff...

Post 4

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

Maybe your earlier replies were from a bad day smiley - smiley

As to the strangling issue, I think you've pretty much answered your own question. He didn't want to kill his son.

But I don't think ou can argue with the physics of it - it's the same basic manipulation of the force as levitating a rock. You're either strong enough in the force to push back against your attacker and let the air in (not a common qualification for Imperial admirals I guess) or you're in trouble.


Errata and other stuff...

Post 5

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

Oh, and as for the crawl, well, I'm not going to argue with Lucasfilm smiley - smiley

But that seems right - I don't remember much about watching Star Wars in 77 (I was 3) but it wsa definitely there when re-released with ESB...


Errata and other stuff...

Post 6

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

one thing, I don't mean to be picky, I just am, but the Sith and Dark Lords of the Sith, Darths, are different. The Lords are what used to be called Dark Jedi, back when there were loads, the Sith are a race of natural Force users who were conquered* by the Dark Jedi.


smiley - dog

*conquered isn't realy the right word, the Dark Jedi just took over


Key: Complain about this post