A Conversation for Jack Kerouac

Kerouac's other novels

Post 1

Ben The Hippy

Man, you gotta add the other novels to this entry... Dr Sax, for example, still blows me away every single time. And some of his poetry is pretty spectacular too... any cat who wants to dig Kerouac needs to get into the bop prosody thing, and there's no better place to start than by reading Mexico City Blues (242 choruses) which actually has a real full-on jazz structure to it. Wow!
The most fastinating thing for me in Kerouac is trying to spot the history... the aspect of his work which was basically written fly-on-the-wall documentary, with all names changed to protect the guily-as-charged. Understand how that is blended with the epic flights of fancy and the fictional content yet still comes out smelling of truth and the soul and you realise how deep this stuff goes... Kerouac was a buhdda and a bad cat, poet and piss-artist... man, he could blow.


Key: Complain about this post

Kerouac's other novels

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more