A Conversation for Pronouncing British Placenames

Getting the syllable accents correct on Scottish place-names

Post 1

Glasgow Brian

Coming from Scotland, I am always correcting English people where the accents come in Scottish names. E.g. Oban has the accent on the first syllable, not the second which people usually assume if they don't know.
When Julia Bradbury did a walk in the Trossachs, she did this often, even pronouncing my beloved Loch Katrine (Katrin - accent first syllable) as in Latrine - ugh. And this is Glasgow's ultra pure water supply! But then she actually tried accentuating the first syllable of a place name - hurrah. Poor Julia, she unfortunatly tried this on Killin, not realising that this is an example of the accent falling on the second syllable instead. I love her really, but my love took a severe dent after this. Someone give her a pronunciation guide.
And lastly, Londoners please note: the port of Greenock is not pronounced as you would in Greenwich - it sounds as it looks.


Getting the syllable accents correct on Scottish place-names

Post 2

Icy North

Hi Brian, and welcome to h2g2 smiley - smiley

Thanks for the Scottish pointers. I rarely visit, but I heed your wise advice. I wouldn't want to sound more of a fool than I actually am smiley - smiley

Did I not include Greenock? I may get it added. I know it from the football results, but it's odd how the non-standard pronunciation can spread like that.

smiley - cheers Icy


Key: Complain about this post

Getting the syllable accents correct on Scottish place-names

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more