A Conversation for History of the Celts

pronunciation

Post 1

Princess Bride

I am from the states and therefore don't really know how to pronounce Celts. Is it a hard k sound or soft s sound? Please don't think I'm stupid for asking, but people are very vehement on both sides of this argument and I thought someone would know. Thanks!


pronunciation

Post 2

Bran the Explorer

Not a stupid question at all ... the accepted pronounciation today is with a hard c, as in the k-sound. (Notwithstanding the name of a soccer team). The actual word Celt is Latin in origin (would you believe), and Latin uses a hard c. In the modern Celtic languages, by happy coincidence, c is also hard. So ... it all fits in nicely.
Hope this all makes sense.
Cheers
Bran.


pronunciation

Post 3

Princess Bride

thank you grandly bran! Have a nice day! smiley - smiley


pronunciation

Post 4

Underground Caroline

In reply to your question on how Celts should be pronounced - its a hard 'k' sound. I believe that the reasoning behind this pronunciation is that the various Celtic languages of Europe favoured a hard 'k' when pronouncing C at the beginings of words - and most still do. I have a masters degree in Celtic History, so I hope i haven't got this wrong after five years of study!

Caroline, Edinburgh, Scotland


pronunciation

Post 5

Princess Bride

Thanks so much- and I will definitely say that since you got a degree in it, you are right. Thanks for the info!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more