A Conversation for The Hanger Lane Gyratory System

Other wonderful roads of London

Post 1

Witty Ditty

Oh the Hanger Lane Gyratory...But what about navigating the Hammersmith Flyover or the Paddington one-way system? Both are equal in adrenaline rush when encountered from the view of a push bike.

If you want just plain confusing, then the Spaghetti Junction is great for that purpose. Stick to trains smiley - smiley


Other wonderful roads of London

Post 2

Esio Trot

The marvels of town planning (personally, I think more often than not it is the consequence of the morning after an over exuberant town planners' christmas party) aren't just restricted to London Village. In Swindon they have a road system called "the magic roundabout".
I speak with certain authority in saying that there is very little magical about it. As if one town centre roundabout isn't enough, the powers that be invented a system that placed several small roundbaouts around a larger one. The consequence is that you end up navigating your way around the system in the opposite direction that logic would suggest.
This leaves you with 2 options on how to survive the "magique rond point":
a) Close your eyes, apply firm pressure to the horn and accelerate in the rough direction of where you want to go,
or
b) Avoid Swindon altogether.


...I think I know which one is my preference.


Other wonderful roads of London

Post 3

Don't Buy Vardy Cars

Hemel Hempstead also has a Magic Roundabout. I used to have to negotaite sometimes during driving lessons. After that the M25 was a piece of cake.


Other wonderful roads of London

Post 4

Solsbury

I had to do the one in Swindon during my lessons. Hanger Lane was easy in comparison.


Other wonderful roads of London

Post 5

Wal

I have heard unconfirmed reports that the guy who designed the Hemel Hempstead Magic Roundabout was sent to a lunatic assylum shortly afterwards.

Several Hemel road-users followed shortly after using his creation.


Other wonderful roads of London

Post 6

Phil

The Hemel Hempstead mogic roundabout get it's own guide entry you know A381089


Other wonderful roads of London

Post 7

TwickersMan

Just for fun, they built a 'magic roundabout' at the edge of Heathrow Airport about 5 years ago. It's right next to the hire car centre, so its the first junction many tourists meet when they arrive. I wonder how many go all the way round, dump the hire car and decide a taxi is their best bet!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more