A Conversation for Common Irish slang

Thanks a Million

Post 1

Somuchtolearn

Thanks a million for a great list, spot on! And while I'm on the subject, as I have quite a Brit accent mostly, when I travel (apart from in Britain where there's NO mix up) people identify me as English. But recently I was in Spain and said 'thanks a million' to a tourist guide who straight away greeted me as a long lost friend and as Irish. She said it was that one phrase that gave me away because she never hears it from any other country.


Thanks a Million

Post 2

Woodpigeon

Yes - "thanks a million" is a very typical expression in Ireland. As I have found out, it is difficult for me to find expressions that are "typically" Irish, because I live in Ireland. It is only when I am speaking to a non-native that I begin to realise which expressions have not travelled so well. "Give me a bell" (ie. call me) raised some eyebrows with my US colleagues recently..


Thanks a Million

Post 3

Somuchtolearn

Oh I live in Ireland aswell, but having grown up in England I've kept a lot of my English dialect. That's why I was so surprised to be picked out from that phrase.

Recently some of my (Irish) friends have been thought of as American when abroad. There seems to be an american accent creeping in here! I was out the other week and mistook a Dublin girl for an american myself. Don't know if I like that idea.


Thanks a Million

Post 4

Woodpigeon

I think that's true. I spend a lot of time in the US, and I notice sometimes that my accent adjusts to that of my American colleagues. I have also noticed that the slight emphasis on the last syllable particular to American speech (and interestingly, Northern Irish accents), seems to be becoming more common in the Republic also.


Thanks a Million

Post 5

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Last syllable emphasis? Wha'...? Pardon me, I'm confused, I've never noticed that. Probably cos I come from Fermanagh.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more