A Conversation for Shakespeare's Globe, Bankside, London

Globe

Post 1

Spaceboy Zoom

The Globe is pretty amazing. I had the good fortune of being in London when it opened and got to be there opening night. (there were some parts of the theatre they still hadn't finish working on!) They were charging "original price" so I got to be a groundling for 1 pence.

It was very interesting, especially seeing men play all the roles.


Globe

Post 2

longy

I'd agree

It's great to see the plays presented in the setting that they were originally intended for - even if you do get wet when it rains!


Globe

Post 3

Ashley

I went to see Vanessa Redgrave in a somewhat mediocre performance of the Tempest - the staging was awful but she was absolutely fantastic.


Globe

Post 4

Spaceboy Zoom

And wet we did get...
They did a fantastic job, even the costumes were autheticly made...
But actually, standing for that long wasn't all that nice...


Globe

Post 5

The Nitpicker

I've seen three of the current productions at the Globe and if you have to choose one to see make EVERY effort to see Hamlet. Mark Rylance is brilliant! He has played the part so many times that he really knows what every word means and puts it across so well that even small children can understand. It is also the funniest production of Hamlet I have ever seen. Purists (theatre critics and the like) do not seem to like this approach very much so IGNORE THEM and go see for yourself - you will probably have to queue for returns but it is worth it!
As for getting wet - for £1.00 you can buy a Globe 'mac' which, while not the latest fashion, will keep you dry through most weather.
The best theatre in London!


Globe

Post 6

Spaceboy Zoom

Wish I could Nitpicker... but unfortunately here I am in New York...
Perhaps they'll tour smiley - smiley


Globe

Post 7

The Nitpicker

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't think they will tour and I don't think that Mark will ever play the part again smiley - sadface. Get a cheap last minute flight or something (after you have checked their website on www.shakespeares-globe.org for the dates of the last 10 performances). If you do get over The Antipodes is also good.
I look forward to the announcement of the plays for next season with eager anticipation - I hear rumours that one play will be Twelfth Night.
There are also other good things at the Globe e.g. WOMAD do a one-off acoustic night, the Comedy Store improv night, a Jazz night and the
International Season (this year it was a ten day run of Romeu & Julieta by Grupo Galpao from Brazil).


Globe

Post 8

The Nitpicker

P.S. If you don't know what WOMAD is check out my guide entry on the subject (search the guide for WOMAD but it has not been approved or anything).


Globe

Post 9

androyd

It's interesting that you found her performance outstanding because the general feeling is that she has actually been extremely disappointing. How long ago did you since the Tempest? I saw it on opening night and although she did actually know what words to say she didn't appear to have any comprehension of what they meant. I have seen the show several times since and her performance has improved immeasurably. I initially found the production extremely irritating but it has grown on me especially the music.


Globe

Post 10

bumbee

Ohhhh... Mark Rylance in Hamlet???? That sounds outstanding. I saw him in Cleopatra in September, where he played the woman herself, and I fell in love with him. My group was doing a little tour thing before hand, and I have all these pictures of Mark warming up on the stage...*sigh*... how long is this version? I'm sure they had to make mucho cuts. Could you explain how they made it funny, per say? I'm not a purist in any sense of the word-- I believe in living theater (if I'm using the phrase right)-- but I can't see how the whole play is funny; I can see how parts of it are funny, and how from certain angles it's funny (ie. Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead), but, as it is a tradgedy, I am interested in how they decided to stage it. smiley - smiley


Globe

Post 11

The Nitpicker

It is not that the whole thing is funny but that there are more funny parts than usual e.g. Hamlet takes the piss out of Polonius with no mercy given, the 'Play' scene is very funny and the Gravedigger scene is much funnier than usual. It has been cut (not really a huge amount - it plays 3 hours 20 minutes) but the cuts are seamless. The production also realy makes much more of the contrast between Hamlet and Laertes (often a bit of a nobody who seems to be a bit of a ,dramatic, device) with Hamlet totally indecisive but very honest even in his mistakes and Laertes totally decisive but dishonest (which makes a lot more sense of his father's advice before he leaves for France and also sending someone to spy on him).

And, yes I checked out your space, why not come to Europe and try to get some casual work (e.g. bar or hotel work) to feed your travelling bug and get work at the same time? I think it is far more interesting to live somewhere than just visit. See you if you come to London?


Globe

Post 12

Spaceboy Zoom

Don't go tempting her... smiley - smiley
It was bad enough when she was living in england for a semester...
And now that she's graduated I've finally got my phone bill back to normal... I'd rather keep it that way... (besides I'd miss her smiley - winkeye )


Globe

Post 13

bumbee

I know... I know...

no (in abject pain....) I can't move now.... must settle down for a bit. Must get a real job... must pay back student loans....

ouch. It hurts. Want to go back to where they drive on the other side of the road and eat yummy foods like hobnobs and nutella and curry.... (you can tell I ate wonderfully while I was there, eh?)...

smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more