A Conversation for Theramin

Origins Of the Theremin

Post 1

SonicJunkie

Actually, more than a few musical historians claim that the theremin was originally designed as a device to spy on Russia's enemies. The inventor discovered the musical effect purely by accident when he leant across the machine.

It is believed that the theremin made it's first appearance in an orchestra shortly after the Russian Premier was shown this new "wonder insrument" in his office and heard the Russian National Anthem being played on it.


Origins Of the Theremin

Post 2

Chronicargonaut

Where can I buy one?
The most recent famous Theremin fan is Bill Bailey. On the Bewilderness video.


Origins Of the Theremin

Post 3

SonicJunkie

There are a few theremin dealers on the net, but the bst thmins are hand made. A number of sites have circuit diagrams available. Instead of using their specs, change the component values slightly and check out the effect.


Origins Of the Theremin

Post 4

SonicJunkie

There are a few theremin dealers on the net, but the bst thmins are hand made. A number of sites have circuit diagrams available. Instead of using their specs, change the component values slightly and check out the effect.


Origins Of the Theremin

Post 5

Trespassers William

WWW.theraminworld.com has links to various Theremin suppliers and schematics for the more technically able. It also has a lot of interesting stuff about Theremins, generally: well worth a visit.


Origins Of the Theremin

Post 6

Cornelius Beardchuff

My Grandmother has an underwater theremin which she claims she can talk to Dolphins with.

She charges £250 a dive so that people with burning questions for Dolphins can ask them, such as "should I go to war with Iraq or spend the money on something useful instead, like a Playschool Theramin for Leo??".

She's a millioniare you know, when she's not in prison.


Origins Of the Theremin

Post 7

brian_ellwood

Clicking through channels on German tv the other night I discovered a programme about theramins.Being interviewed and demonstrating its use in modern classical music was a lady called Caroline Eyck who seemed to be quite an expert(the RBB channel). Seems to be worth following up if you're a devotee.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more