A Conversation for How to Solve 'The Times' Crossword

Great job!

Post 1

Spiff

Hi

As a keen (if sometimes frustrated) Times CW solver, I, just wanted to say that I like the entry. Nice work.

I can understand that some people might find it daunting, but it is amazing how quickly the "rules of the game" become firmly established in your mind. You look at a clue and try to recognise some element that reveals how it works. Then you can start to look for the answer. I love it!

I often hear people say things like, "Oh no, I wouldn't know where to begin." when refering to the CW, and I hope your article helps some people to discover firstly that they can solve some of the clues most of the time, but also that they can solve all of the clues some of the time! A remarkably satisfying experience.

Thanks Manolo


Great job!

Post 2

manolan


Thanks for your kind words. It has to be said, however, that I've been having absolutely no luck this week, at all. Yesterday, I think I managed a grand total of 4 answers.


Great job!

Post 3

Spiff

Er, sorry about getting your name wrong!

Chap with no note inside is researcher (6)

smiley - smiley


Great job!

Post 4

manolan


Very clever!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more