A Conversation for Ogham - an Ancient Celtic Alphabet

How do you use it though?

Post 1

Din'Amarth, Keeper of all bad jokes, exept those which are stunningly bad.

If I were to want to use this alphabet how would I write words with sounds that don't apear on the chart, such as J?smiley - huh


How do you use it though?

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

The Ogham alphabet was invented in the 4th Century AD, so it was not designed so that you can write the letter J. Since the alphabet does not have a J, you will have to decide for yourself how to write J. There are a few approaches you can use. J in English sounds like DZH, so you can use these three letters together. Alternatively, you can invent a new symbol and use that, as long as the person you are sending the message to understands.


How do you use it though?

Post 3

Din'Amarth, Keeper of all bad jokes, exept those which are stunningly bad.

What about the seven funky looking characters. You said that they represent sounds that were not used in anchient irish, but not very clear about what sounds the characters represent


How do you use it though?

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

The article is not clear because nobody is clear. While experts agree on what sounds the regular letters represented, they can't agree on what the other symbols were, perhaps because they were not standardised. Some sources give the "grid" symbol as the diphthong AE while others give it as X, for example.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more