A Conversation for Buying Beer in Australia

Beer in New Zealand

Post 1

Baboon

New Zealand (across the ditch, aka the Tasman Sea) is a bit different to Australia with beer. We have a "handle" which is a bit smaller than a pint, so I hear, and if you want less than that, its a "half" which I think is the same as the UK eh? We have jugs the same, and if you're getting a few to have while watching the game at home, you'd get a dozen or two of cans. We also have the crate bottle (seen on Once Were Warriors), which I think is about 1 litre and comes in wooden crates which you can then take back and get re filled. These tend to be an older rural bloke thing. The main NZ beers are Tui, Lion Red, Lion Brown, Steinlager, Macs, Monteiths, and Speights. Kiwis don't really care, though we'll drink anything. As a traveller, you'd do best to go to an Irish-themed pub as this seems to be where they all are, and you won't get in trouble for blocking the view of the rugby.
I often go to Queensland, and those drive thru bottolos are for real. They ask you if you want your beer hot or cold (from the chiller or not). Pots over there are piss small - I wouldn't bother unless you're a girl (I'm a girl, and even I wouldn't bother).


Key: Complain about this post

Beer in New Zealand

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more