A Conversation for 'Oranges and Lemons' - The Nursery Rhyme

Oranges and Lemons

Post 1

Elizeliz

I'd like to know if I can be directed to the cite for the date of the oldest bell at Stepney. This date (1385) is also cited on Wikipedia, but I fear both are inaccurate. There may have been a bell recast in 1385, but the oldest bell in Stepney tower currently dates from 1806.


Oranges and Lemons

Post 2

Mina

You can find the church here - http://www.stdunstanstepney.org/

I can't speak for wikipedia but I did a lot of very thorough research on this entry. If you can find proof that the information is incorrect then I will change it, but I am confident of my dates.


Oranges and Lemons

Post 3

Mina

Sorry, I misread 'cite' as 'church' for some reason.

I'm afraid there's no chance of me remembering where that one bit of information came from, I've got a bookshelves full of books about London, plus I visited my local and country libraries and did a lot of visiting around London, and the entry was written nearly six years ago.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more